Department of Chemistry
Prof. Irshad Ahmad is a Visiting Professor in the Department of Chemistry, Wayne State University, Detroit, USA. He is associated with the American University of Ras Al Khaimah, UAE since 2011. He obtained his PhD in Chemistry (2006) from Central Salt and Marine Chemicals Research Institute/Bhavnagar University, India.
He attended the Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology, S. Korea as an invited scientist and subsequently, pursued research at the Van’t Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands; Leibniz Institute for Surface Modification, Leipzig, Germany; Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Stephenson Life Science Research Center, University of Oklahoma, USA.
He was a visiting professor at the University of Toronto, Canada. He is actively involved in Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL) project with Wayne State University (WSU).
His research area is homogeneous and heterogeneous asymmetric catalysis for organic transformation, Supramolecular Chemistry, Renewable Energy, Material Sciences, Nanotechnology, and Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
Research interest(s)/area of expertise
Catalysis, Supramolecular Chemistry, Renewable Energy, Material Sciences, Nanotechnology, and Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
- PhD, Chemistry, Bhavnagar University, India, 2006.
- Postdoc, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Oklahoma University, Norman, USA, 2010.
- German Research Foundation-Postdoc, Leibniz Institute for Surface Modification, Leipzig, Germany, 2008.
- The Dutch Research Council Fellow, Van’t Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2006.
- Invited Scientist, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology, Daejeon, South Korea, 2006
- Shagufta; Ahmad I.; Therapeutic significance of molecular hybrids for breast cancer research and treatment. RSC Med. Chem. 2022
- Ahmad, I.; Shagufta; Dhar, R.; Hisaindee, S.; Hassam, K. An Environmentally Benign Solid Acid Nanocatalyst for the Green Synthesis of Carboxylic Acid Ester. ChemistrySelect. 2021, 6 (36), 9645-9652.
- Shagufta; Ahmad, I. The race to treat COVID-19: Potential therapeutic agents for the prevention and treatment of SARS-CoV-2. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2021, 113-157.
- Pramoda, K.; Gupta, U.; Ahmad, I.; Kumar, R. Assemblies of Covalently Cross-linked Nanosheets of MoS2 and of MoS2-RGO: Synthesis and Novel Properties. J. Mater. Chem. A, 2016, 4, 8989-8994
- Kumar, R.; Gopalkrishnan, K.; Ahmad, I.; Rao, CNR. BN-Graphene Composites Generated by Covalent Cross-Linking with Organic Linkers. Adv. Funct. Mater.2015, 25 (37), 5910-5917.
- Ahmad, I.; Shagufta. Recent developments in steroidal and nonsteroidal aromatase inhibitors for the chemoprevention of estrogen-dependent breast cancer. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2015, 102, 375-386.
- Kumar, R.; Raut, D.; Ahmad, I.; Ramamurthy, U.; Maji, T. K.; Rao, CNR. Functionality preservation with enhanced mechanical integrity in the nanocomposites of the metal–organic framework, ZIF-8, with BN nanosheets. Materials Horizons, 2014, 1 (5), 513-517.
- Ahmad, I.; Chapman, G.; Nicholas, K. M. Sulfite-driven, oxorhenium-catalyzed deoxydehydration of glycols. Organometallics, 2011, 30 (10), 2810-2818.
- Buchmeiser, M. R.; Ahmad, I.; Gurram, V.; Kumar, P.S. Pseudo-Halide and Nitrate Derivatives of Grubbs and Grubbs–Hoveyda Initiators: Some Structural Features Related to the Alternating Ring-Opening Metathesis Copolymerization of Norborn-2-ene with Cyclic Olefins. Macromolecules, 2011, 44, 11, 4098–4106.
- Vkuturi, S.; Chapman, G.; Ahmad, I.; Nicholas, K. M. Rhenium-catalyzed deoxydehydration of glycols by sulfite. Inorg. Chem. 2010, 49 (11), 4744-4746.
- Kureshy, R.I.; Ahmad, I.; Noor-ul,H. K.; Abdi, S. H. R.; K Pathak, K.; Jasra, R. V. Chiral Mn (III) salen complexes covalently bonded on modified MCM-41 and SBA-15 as efficient catalysts for enantioselective epoxidation of nonfunctionalized alkenes. Journal of Catalysis, 2006, 238 (1), 134-141.
- Khan, N. H.; Abdi, S.H. R.; Kureshy, R. I.; Singh, S.; Ahmad, I.; Jasra, R. V.; Ghosh, P. K. Catalytic process for the preparation of epoxides from alkenes. United Sates Patent, 2007, 7,235,676
- Khan, N. H.; Abdi, S.H. R.; Kureshy, R. I.; Singh, S.; Ahmad, I.; Jasra, R. V.; Ghosh, P. K. An Improved Catalytic Process for the preparation of Epoxides from alkenes. European Patent, 2006, 1,732,910.