Environmental Science and Geology
0204 Old Main Building
Environmental Science and Geology
- 2021 – now, Assistant professor, Department of Environmental Science and Geology, Wayne State University
- 2018 – 2021, Assistant professor, College of Environmental and Resource Sciences, Zhejiang University, China
- 2016 – 2017, Postdoc associate, Department of Environmental Sciences, University of California, Riverside
- 2014 – 2016, Postdoc associate, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Research interest(s)/area of expertise
Contaminants of emerging concern
Biotic and abiotic transformation mechanisms
Nontarget and suspect screening
Sorption and bioavailability
The Zhijiang Lu Research Group at Wayne State University studies the environmental fate of organic pollutants in natural and engineered environments. In particular, the group is studying:
- The analysis and occurrence of pesticides, plastic additives, and pharmaceutical and personal care products in soil, water, and sediments
- The kinetics and mechanisms of their environmental processes (sorption, uptake, biotic and abiotic degradation) in soil, water, and sediments. With this knowledge, we can determine the distribution of organic pollutants and their transformation products in space and time. We can then assess their risks, design treatment processes, and set regulations
- 2014, Ph.D. Environmental Sciences, University of California, Riverside
- 2009, B.S. Environmental Sciences, Peking University, China
Full publication list can be found at Google Scholar.
1. Xu, Y. W., Jia, W.Q., Hu, A.L., Wang J., Huang, Y., Xu, J.M., He, Y., and Lu, Z.J. (2022) Co-occurrence of light microplastics and phthalate esters in soils of China. Science of The Total Environment. 158384.
2. Tao, Y., Liu, J., Xu, Y., Liu, H., Yang, G., He, Y., Xu, J.* and Lu, Z.* (2022) Suspecting screening “known unknown” pesticides and transformation products in soil at pesticide manufacturing sites. Science of the Total Environment, 152074.
3. Liu, H.*, Zhao, Y., Liu, C., Yu, Y., He, Y., Xu, J., and Lu, Z. (2021) Determine multiple classes of veterinary antibiotics in soil: Comparing dispersive and solid-phase extraction for sample cleanup. Chromatographia 2021 Pages 1-12
4. Xu, Y., Hu, A., Li, Y., He, Y., Xu, J. and Lu, Z.* (2021) Determination and occurrence of bisphenol A and thirteen structural analogs in soil. Chemosphere 277, 130232.
5. Qiu, M., Hu, A., Yu-ming, M.H., Zhao, Y., He, Y., Xu, J. and Lu, Z.* (2021) Elucidating degradation mechanisms of florfenicol in soil by stable-isotope assisted nontarget screening. Journal of Hazardous materials 403, 123974.
6. Hu, A., Qiu, M., Liu, H., Xu, Y., Tao, Y., Yang, G., He, Y., Xu, J. and Lu, Z.* (2020) Simultaneous determination of phthalate diesters and monoesters in soil using accelerated solvent extraction and ultra-performance liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A 1626, 461347.
7. Lu, Z.*, Gan, J., Cui, X., Delgado-Moreno, L. and Lin, K. (2019) Understanding the bioavailability of pyrethroids in the aquatic environment using chemical approaches. Environment International 129, 194-207.
8. Lu, Z.*, MacFarlane, J.K. and Gschwend, P.M. (2016) Adsorption of organic compounds to diesel soot: frontal analysis and polyparameter linear free-energy relationship. Environmental Science & Technology 50(1), 285-293.
9. Lu, Z.*, Reif, R. and Gan, J. (2015) Isomer-specific biodegradation of nonylphenol in an activated sludge bioreactor and structure–biodegradability relationship. Water Research 68, 282-290.
10. Lu, Z.* and Gan, J. (2014a) Analysis, toxicity, occurrence and biodegradation of nonylphenol isomers: A review. Environment International 73, 334-345.
11. Lu, Z. and Gan, J.* (2014b) Isomer-specific biodegradation of nonylphenol in river sediments and structure-biodegradability relationship. Environmental Science & Technology 48(2), 1008-1014.
12. Lu, Z.* and Gan, J. (2014c) Isomer-specific oxidation of nonylphenol by potassium permanganate. Chemical Engineering Journal 243, 43-50.
13. Lu, Z.* and Gan, J. (2013) Oxidation of nonylphenol and octylphenol by manganese dioxide: Kinetics and pathways. Environmental Pollution 180, 214-220.
14. Lu, Z., Xue, M., Shen, G., Li, K., Li, X., Wang, X. and Tao, S.* (2011a) Accumulation dynamics of chlordanes and their enantiomers in cockerels (Gallus gallus) after oral exposure. Environmental Science & Technology 45(18), 7928-7935.
15. Lu, Z., Lin, K. and Gan, J.* (2011b) Oxidation of bisphenol F (BPF) by manganese dioxide. Environmental Pollution 159(10), 2546-2551.
Courses taught by Zhijiang Lu
Fall Term 2023 (future)
Winter Term 2023
Fall Term 2022
- ESG1010 - Geology: The Science of the Earth
- ESG6300 - Emerging Organic Contaminants in Global Environment