Primary appointment: Biological Sciences
3109 Biological Sciences Building
B.Sc. in Biology, Texas State University, 2006
M.Sc. in Population and Conservation Biology, Texas State Universty, 2009
Ph.D. in Biologial Sciences, University of Notre Dame, 2016
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Rice Academy of Fellows, Rice University, 2016-2018
Research Assistant Professor, Wayne State University, 2018-2019
Assistant Professor, Wayne State University, 2019-Present
Research interest(s)/area of expertise
Adaptation and Speciation
(69) Santangelo JS, … [Hood GR] … Johnson MTJ. (2022) Global urban environmental change drives adaptation in white clover. Science 375:1275-1281. **One of a team of >280 scientists contributing to the Global Urban Evolution Project (GLUE), aimed at understanding how urbanization effect evolution in a cosmopolitan plant across the globe at 160 cities in 26 countries on 7 continents**
(68) Powell THQ, Hood GR, Doellman MM, Deneen PM, Smith JJ, Berlocher SH, Feder JL. (2022) The build-up of population genetic divergence along the speciation continuum during recent adaptive radiation of Rhagoletis flies. Genes 13:275.
(67) Mattsson MM‡, Hood GR‡^, Yee WL, Doellman MM, Goughnour RB, Driscoe AL, Van Dexter S, Bruzzese DJ, Tait C, Glover MM, Ruedas LA, Feder JL. (2022) Recursive adaptation in action: allochronic isolation and divergence of host-associated populations of Rhagoletis pomonella (Diptera: Tephritidae) following its recent introduction to the western United States. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 170:48-63. ‡Denotes equal author contribution; ^Corresponding author; **Special issue on host race formation and speciation**
(66) Inskeep KA, Doellman MM, Powell THQ, Berlocher SH, Seifert NR, Hood GR, Ragland GJ, Meyers PJ, Feder JL. (2022) Divergent diapause life history timing drive both allochronic speciation and reticulate hybridization in an adaptive radiation of Rhagoletis flies. Molecular Ecology. Online early: doi: 10.1111/mec.15908
(65) Hood GR, Jennings JH, Beehler M*, Yew J, Bruzzese DJ, Feder JR, Etges WJ. (2022) Cuticular hydrocarbon variation among Rhagoletis fruit flies (Diptera: Tephritidae): implications for premating reproductive isolation and ecological speciation. Ecological Entomology. Online early: doi: 10.1111/een.13101
(64) McCall MB, Doellman MM, Feder JL, Hood GR, Meyers P, Egan SP, Powell THQ, Glover MM, Tait C, Schuler H, Berlocher SH, Smith JJ, Nosil P, Hahn DA, Ragland GJ. (2022) Genomically correlated trait combinations and antagonistic selection contributing to counterintuitive genetic patterns of adaptive diapause divergence in Rhagoletis flies. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 35:146-163.
(63) Bruzzese DJ, Schuler H, Wolfe TM, Glover MM, Mastroni J, Doellman MM, Tait C, Yee WL, Rull J, Aluja M, Hood GR, Goughnour R, Nosil P, Feder JL. (2022) Wolbachia-induced cytoplasmic incompatibility couples with non-endosymbiont based reproductive isolation during speciation in cherry-infesting Rhagoletis fruit flies. Molecular Ecology. Online early: doi: 10.1111/mec.16157
(62) Hood GR‡, Socrates C*, Rankin K*, Hwang K, Papuga SA‡. (2021) On the phytoscreening potential of insect-induced plant galls. Plant and Soil 467:569-578.
‡Denotes equal author contribution and co-corresponding authors
(61) Hood GR, Blankinship D*, Doellman MM, Feder JL. (2021) Temporal partitioning promotes parasitoid biodiversity. Biological Reviews 96:1969-1988.
(60) Zhang L, Hood, GR, Carroo I*, Ott JR, Egan SP. Context-dependent reproductive isolation: Host plant variability drives fitness of hybrid herbivores. American Naturalist 197:732-739.
(59) Feder JL, Hood GR, Doellman MM, Schuler H, Miller A, Tait C, Glover MM, Meyers PJ. (2021) Speciation, Process of. In: Reference Module in Life Sciences (LIFE). Elsevier Press: Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
(58) Zhang L, Hood GR, Roush AM*, Shzu S*, Comerford MS, Ott JR, Egan SP. (2021) Asymmetric, but opposing reductions in immigrant viability and fecundity promote reproductive isolation among host-associated populations of an insect herbivore. Evolution 75:476-489.
(57) Doellman MM, St. Jean G, Egan SP, Powell THQ, Hood GR, Schuler H, Bruzese DJ, Glover MM, Smith JJ, Yee W, Goughnour RB, Rull J, Aluja M, Feder JL. (2020) Evidence for spatial clines and mixed geographic modes of speciation for North American cherry-infesting Rhagoletis flies. Ecology and Evolution. 10:12727-12744.
(56) Weaver AK*, Hood GR, Foster M, Egan SP. (2020) Tradeoff between fecundity and survival generates stabilizing selection on gall size. Ecology and Evolution 10:10207-10218.
(55) Meyers PJ, Doellman MM, Ragland GJ, Hood GR, Egan SP, Powell THQ, Nosil P, Feder JL. (2020) Can the genomics of ecological speciation be predicted across the divergence continuum from host races to species? A case study in Rhagoletis. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 375:20190534.
(54) Hood GR, Powell THQ, Doellman MM, Sim, SB, Glover M, Yee WL, Goughnour RB, Mattson M, Schwarz D, Feder JL. (2020) Rapid and repeatable host plant shifts drive reproductive isolation following a human-mediated introduction. Evolution 74:156-168.
(53) Doellman MM‡^, Hood GR‡^, Xu CCY, Gersfeld J, Holmes N, Yee W, Feder JL. (2020) Identifying diagnostic genetic markers for a cryptic invasive agricultural pest: a test case using the apple maggot fly, Rhagoletis pomonella (Diptera: Tephritidae). Annals of the Entomological Society of America 113:246-256. ^Authors contributed equally
(52) Hood GR, Weaver AK*, Comerford MS, Morton PM, Egan SP. (2019) Human-mediated disturbance in multitrophic interactions results in outbreak levels of North America’s most venomous caterpillar. Biology Letters 15:20190407.
(51) Hood GR, Zhang L, Hu EG*, Ott JR, Egan, SP. (2019) Cascading reproductive isolation: plant phenology drives temporal isolation among populations of a host-specific herbivore. Evolution 73:554-568.
(50) Doellman MM, Schuler H, St. Jean G, Hood GR, Egan SP, Powell THQ, Glover MM, Bruzzese DJ, Smith JJ, Yee W, Goughnour RB, Rull J, Aluja M, Feder JL. (2019) Geographic and ecological dimensions of host plant associated genetic differentiation and speciation in the Rhagoletis cingulate sibling species group. Insects 10:275.
(49) Tvedte ES, Walden KKO, McElroy KE, Forbes AA, Hood GR, Logsdon Jr JM, Feder JL Robertson HM. (2019) Genome of the parasitoid wasp Diachasma alloeum, an emerging model for ecological speciation and transitions to asexual reproduction. Genome Biology and Evolution 11:2767-2773.
(48) Zhang L, Hood GR, Ott JR, Egan SP. (2019) Temporal isolation between sympatric host plants cascades across multiple trophic levels of host-associated insects. Biology Letters 15:20190507.
(47) Driscoe AL, Nice CC, Busbee RW, Hood GR, Egan SP, Ott JR. (2019) Host plant association and spatial autocorrelation as drivers of genetic differentiation among populations of a regionally host-specific insect herbivore. Molecular Ecology 28:4197-4211.
(46) Doellman MM, Egan SP, Ragland GJ, Meyers PJ, Hood GR, Powell THQ, Lazorchak P, Hahn DA, Berlocher SH, Nosil P, Feder JL. (2019) Standing genetic variation in eclosion time and genome wide patterns of geographic and host related differentiation in Rhagoletis pomonella. Ecology and Evolution 9:393-409.
(45) Schuler H, Lopez JA, Doellman MM, Hood GR, Egan SP, Feder JL. (2019) Target-enriched RAD sequencing (teRADseq): A new high-throughput sequencing approach applied to the comprehensive characterization of endosymbionts. In Methods in Molecular Biology: Insect Genomics, eds. S. Brown & M. Pfrender (Springer, New York, NY), pp 195-212.
(44) Duran DP, Herrmann DP, Roman SJ, Gwiazdowski RA, Drummond JA, Hood GR, Egan SP. (2019) Congruence-based method for species discovery: cryptic diversity in the North American Dromochorus tiger beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae: Cicindelinae). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 186:250-285.
(43) Egan SP, Comerford M, Hood GR, Zhang L, Weinersmith K. Borders on the rise: the unintended evolutionary consequences of border barriers on natural populations. (2018) Public Policy Brief¬-Bake Institute for Public Policy.
(42) Hulbert D, Jackson MD, Hood GR, Smith JJ. (2018) Description of a new Rhagoletis (Diptera: Tephritidae) species in the tabellaria species group. Insect Systematics and Diversity 2:1.
(41) Egan SP, Hood GR, Martinson E, Ott JR. (2018) Quick guide: Cynipid gall wasps. Current Biology 28:R1370-R1374.
(40) St. Jean G, Hood GR, Egan SP, Powell THQ, Schuler H, Doellman MM, Glover M, Smith JJ, Yee WL, Goughnour RB, Rull J, Aluja M, Feder JL. (2018) Limited genetic evidence for host plant-related differentiation in western cherry fruit fly, Rhagoletis indifferens. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 166:739-751.
(39) Hood GR, Zhang L, Egan SP. (2018) Digest: Disentangled bank: less diverse urban environments modify the shape and magnitude of natural selection. Evolution 72:1972-1973.
(38) Egan SP, Zhang L, Comerford M, Hood GR. (2018) Botanical parasitism of an insect by a parasitic plant. Current Biology 28:R863-R864. (F1000 Prime Recommended)
(37) Doellman MM, Ragland GJ, Hood GR, Meyers PJ, Egan SP, Powell THQ, Lazorchak P, Glover MM, Tait C, Schuler H, Hahn DA, Berlocher SH, Smith JJ, Nosil P, Feder JL. (2018) Genomic differentiation during speciation-with-gene-flow: comparing geographic and host-related variation in divergent life history adaptation in Rhagoletis pomonella. Gene 9:262. **Special issue on Evolutionary Genetics of Reproductive Isolation**
(36) Hood GR, Zhang L, Topper L*, Pinto PBDF, del Pino G, Comerford MS, Egan SP. (2018) ‘Closing the life cycle’ in Andricus quercuslanigera (Ashmead 1881) (Hymenoptera: Cynipidae). Annals of the Entomological Society of America 111:103-113.
(35) Hood GR, Egan SP. (2018) Ecological Relevance of Speciation. Oxford Bibliographies. Oxford Press.
(34) Schuler H, Egan SP, Hood GR, Driscoe A, Ott JR. (2018) Diversity and distribution of Wolbachia in relation to geography, host plant affiliation and life cycle of a heterogonic gall wasp. BMC Evolutionary Biology 18:1.
(33) Glover MM, Egan SP, Hood GR, Rull J, Martin A, Feder JL. (2018) Phylogeography of walnut-infesting Rhagoletis suavis (Diptera: Tephritidae) flies. Insect Systematics and Diversity 2:1.
(32) Sim SB, Doellman MM, Hood GR, Powell THQ, Schwarz D, Goughnour R, Egan SP, St. Jean G, Smith JJ, Arcella TE, Dzurisin DK, Feder JL. (2017) Genetic evidence for the introduction of Rhagoletis pomonella (Diptera: Tephritidae) into the Northwestern United States. Journal of Economic Entomology 110:2599-2608.
(31) Ragland GJ, Meyers PJ, Doellman MM, Hood GR, Egan SP, Powell THQ, Hahn DA, Nosil P, Feder JL. (2017) A test of genomic modularity among life history adaptations promoting speciation-with-gene-flow. Molecular Ecology 26:3926-3942.
(30) Hood GR, Ott JR. (2017) Independent life history evolution between generations of bivoltine species: a case study of cyclical parthenogenesis. Oecologia 183:1053-1064.
(29) Cha DH, Olsson SB, Yee WL, Goughnour RG, Hood GR, Mattsson M, Schwarz D, Feder JL, Linn CE. (2017) Identification of host fruit volatiles from snowberry (Symphoricarpos albus) attractive to Rhagoletis zephyria flies from the western United States. Journal of Chemical Ecology 43:188-197.
(28) Feder JL, Hood GR, Doellman MM, Schuler H, Miller A, Tait C, Glover MM, Meyers PJ. (2017) Speciation, Process of. In: Reference Module in Life Sciences (LIFE). Elsevier Press: Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
(27) Hood GR, Feder JL. (2016) Sequential Speciation, In Encyclopedia of Evolutionary Biology (ed. RM Kliman). Oxford University Press, Oxford, pg. 41-48.
(26) Egan SP, Hood GR, Feder JL. (2016) Speciation-with-Gene-Flow, In Encyclopedia of Evolutionary Biology (ed. RM Kliman). Oxford University Press, pg. 209-215.
(25) Schuler H, Hood GR, Egan SP, Feder JL. (2016) Modes and mechanisms of speciation. Reviews in Cell Biology and Molecular Medicine 2:60-93.
(24) Hamerlinck G., Lemoine NP, Hood GR, Abbott KC, Forbes AA. (2016) Meek mothers with powerful daughters: effects of novel host environments and small trait differences on parasitoid competition. Oikos 1:1-12.
(23) Hamerlinck G, Hulbert D, Hood GR, Smith JJ, Forbes AA. (2016) Histories of host shifts and cospeciation among free-living parasitoids of Rhagoletis flies. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 29:1766-1779.
(22) Forbes AA, Hall MC, Lund J, Hood GR, Izen R, Egan SP, Ott JR. (2016) Parasitoids, hyperparasitoids and inquilines associated with the sexual and agamic generations of the oak gall former, Belonocnema treatae (Hymenoptera: Cynipidae). Annals of the Entomological Society of America 109:49-63.
(21) Mattsson M, Hood GR, Feder JL, Ruedas LA. (2015) Rapid and repeatable shifts in life history timing of Rhagoletis pomonella (Diptera: Tephritidae) following colonization of novel host plants in the Pacific Northwestern United States. Ecology and Evolution 5:5823-5837.
(20) Hood GR, Forbes AA, Powell THQ, Egan SP, Hamerlinck G, Smith JJ, Feder JL. (2015) Sequential divergence and the multiplicative origin of community diversity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 112:E5980-E5989.
(19) Yee WL, Goughnour RB, Hood GR, Forbes AA, Feder JL. (2015) Chilling and host plant/site-associated eclosion times of western cherry fruit fly (Diptera: Tephritidae) and a host-specific parasitoid. Environmental Entomology 44:1029-1042.
(18) Arcella T‡, Hood GR‡^, Powell THQ‡, Sim SB, Yee WL, Schwarz D, Egan SP, Goughnour RB, Smith JJ, Feder JL. (2015) Hybridization and the spread of the Apple Maggot Fly, Rhagoletis pomonella (Diptera: Tephritidae), in the Northwestern United States. Evolutionary Applications 8:834-846. ‡Equal author contribution; ^Corresponding authors
(17) Egan, SP, Ragland GR, Assour L, Powell THQ, Hood GR, Emrich S, Nosil P, Feder JL. (2015) Experimental evidence of genome-wide impact of natural selection during early stages of speciation-with-gene-flow. Ecology Letters 18:817-825. (F1000 Prime Recommended)
(16) Yee WL, Lawrence TW, Hood GR, Feder JL. (2015) New records of Rhagoletis Loew, 1862 (Diptera: Tephritidae) and their host plants in western Montana, U.S.A. Pan-Pacific Entomologist 91:39-57.
(15) Hood GR, Glover M, Tait C, Yee WL, Feder JL. (2014) Detection of an apple-infesting population of Rhagoletis pomonella (Walsh) 1867 (Diptera: Tephritidae) in the state of Colorado, USA. Pan-Pacific Entomologist 90:4-10.
(14) Smith JJ, Powel THQ, Teixeira L, Armstrong WO*, McClowry RJ, Isaacs R, Hood GR, Feder JL, Gut L. (2014) Genetic structure of cherry fruit fly (Rhagoletis cingulata) populations across managed, unmanaged, and natural habitats. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 150:157-165.
(13) Powell, THQ, Forbes AA, Hood GR, Feder JL. (2014) Ecological adaptation and reproductive isolation in sympatry: genetic and phenotypic evidence for multiple native host races in Rhagoletis pomonella. Molecular Ecology 23:688-704.
(12) Powell THQ, Hood GR, Murphy M*, Heilveil JS, Berlocher SH, Nosil P, Feder JL. (2013) Genetic divergence along a speciation continuum: the transition from host race to species in Rhagoletis (Diptera: Tephritidae). Evolution 67:2561-2576.
(11) Egan SP, Hood GR, DeVela G*, Ott JR. (2013) Parallel ecological divergence of two specialist gall wasp species. PLoS One e54690.
(10) Hood GR, Yee WL, Goughnour RB, Sim SB, Egan SP, Arcella T, St. Jean G, Powell THQ, Xu C*, Feder JL. (2013) The geographic distribution of Rhagoletis pomonella (Diptera: Tephritidae) in the western United Stated: introduced species or native population? Annals of the Entomological Society of America 106:59-65.
(9) Hood GR, Egan SP, Feder JL. (2012) Evidence for sexual isolation as a prezygotic barrier to gene flow between morphologically divergent species of Rhagoletis fruit flies. Ecological Entomology 37:521-528.
(8) Hood GR, Egan SP, Feder JL. (2012) Interspecific competition and speciation in endoparasitoids. Evolutionary Biology 39:219-230.
(7) Egan SP, Hood GR, Ott JR. (2012) Testing the role of habitat isolation among ecologically divergent gall wasp populations. International Journal of Ecology, vol. 2012 Article ID 809897, 8 pgs. **Special issue on Ecological Speciation**
(6) Egan SP, Hood GR, Feder JL, Ott JR. (2012) Divergent host plant use promotes reproductive isolation among cynipid gall wasp populations. Biology Letters 8:605-608.
(5) Hood GR, Ott JR. (2011) Generational shape shifting: changes in egg shape and egg size between asexual and sexual generations of a cyclically parthenogenic gall former. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 141:88-96.
(4) Egan SP, Hood GR, Ott JR. (2011) Natural selection on gall size: Natural selection in the wild: variable contributions of individual host plants to landscape wide patterns. Evolution 65:3543-3557.
(3) Forbes, AA‡, Hood GR‡, Powell THQ, Feder JL. (2010) Geographic ranges and host breadths of parasitoid wasps associated with Rhagoletis pomonella (Diptera: Tephritidae) species complex. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 103:908-15. ‡Equal author contribution
(2) Hood GR, Ott JR. (2009) Developmental plasticity and reduced susceptibility to natural enemies following host plant defoliation in a specialized herbivore. Oecologia 162:673-83.
(1) Farallo VR, Swanson RL, Hood GR, Troy JR, Forstner MJ. (2009) New county records for the Mediterranean house gecko (Hemidactylus turcicus) in Central Texas with comments on human mediated dispersal. Applied Herpetology 6:196-198.