Volunteer Assistant Professor
203.5 Rackham Building, 60 Farnsworth Street
Detroit, Michigan 48202, United States
Research interest(s)/area of expertise
Epidemiology in Communication Sciences and Disorders
Outcome Measures of Cochlear Implants
Awards and grants
2016 Teaching Innovation Grant from Illinois State University ($2500, PI, funded)
2015 ASHA’s Academic-Research Careers (AARC) Award ($5000, PI, funded)
2014 New Faculty Investigator Grant from Illinois State University
($3500, PI, funded)
2009 Etymotic Research Student Grant ($3000, funded)
1. Ou, H. (In preparation). Will the Combination of QuickSIN, PPT and ANL Improve the Accuracy of Predicting Hearing Aid Use Success? American Journal of Audiology.
2. Ou, H., & Bently, L. (In preparation). Using Quick Speech-in-Noise Test Material to Measure Acceptable Noise Level. The Journal of the American Academy of Audiology.
3. Ou, H., & Jaderholm, M. (In preparation). Comparisons of generic prescriptive targets between hearing aid manufacturers and a real-ear analyzer. The Hearing Journal.
4. Ou, H., & Wetmore, M. (Submitted). Developing a Revised Performance-Perceptual Test Using Quick Speech-in-Noise Test Material. American Journal of Audiology.
5. Ou, H., & Willingham, S. (2017). Written Instructions vs. Audiology Service for PSAP Use: Preliminary Data. The Hearing Journal. 70(10):34-37
6. Ou, H., Perreau, A., & Tyler, R. (2017). Development of a Shortened Version of the Spatial Hearing Questionnaire (SHQ-S) for Screening Spatial Hearing Ability. American Journal of Audiology. 26:293-300
7. Ou, H., & Kim, E. (2017). Which Short Version of the Speech, Spatial, and Qualities of Hearing Scale to Choose: SSQ5 or SSQ12? Journal of Otorhinolaryngology Disorders and Treatments.1(1):1-8
8. Skaggs, M., & Ou, H. (2017). Audiology Services for PSAP Users. The Hearing Journal.70:26-28
9. Sawyer, J., Matteson, C., Ou, H., & Nagase, T. (2017). The effects of parent-focused slow relaxed speech intervention on speech rate, response time latency, and fluency in preschool children who stutter. Journal of Speech, Hearing, and Language Research. 60(4):794-809
10. Ou, H., Wen, B., Perreau, A., Kim, E., & Tyler, R. (2016). Validation of the Chinese Translation of the Spatial Hearing Questionnaire and Its Short Form. American Journal of Audiology. 25:25-33
11. Ou, H., Bentler, R.A., & Goodman, S.S. (2015). The Effect on Localization of Frequency-Specific Gain Reduction Schemes When Matched and Mismatched Across Ears. International Journal of Audiology.4:1-9
12. Perreau, A., Ou, H., Tyler, R., & Dunn, C. (2014). Perceived Benefit across Different Cochlear Implant Profiles as Measured with the Spatial Hearing Questionnaire. American Journal of Audiology. 23:374-84
13. Perreau, A., Spejcher, B., Ou, H., & Tyler, R. (2014). The Spatial Hearing Questionnaire: Data from normal hearing individuals. American Journal of Audiology. 23:173-81
14. Walker, E., Spratford, M., Moeller, M.P., Oleson, J., Ou, H., Roush, P., & Jacobs, S. (2013). Predictors of hearing aid use in children with hearing loss. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools. 44:73-88
15. Holte, L., Walker, E., Oleson, J., Spratford, M., Moeller, M.P., Roush, P., Ou, H. & Tomblin, J.B. (2012). Factors influencing follow-up to Newborn Hearing Screening for infants who are hard-of-hearing. American Journal of Audiology. 21:163-74
16. Ou, H., Dunn, C. C., Bentler, R. A., & Zhang, X. Y. (2008). Measuring Cochlear Implant Satisfaction in Postlingually Deafened Adults with the SADL inventory. The Journal of the American Academy of Audiology. 19:721-34
17. Ou, H. & Dunn, C.C. (2008). New Methodologies for Determining if Two Cochlear Implants are Necessary. http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/article_detail.asp?article_id=2113
18. Ou, H., Liang, C. Y., & Jiang, T. (2001). The evaluation and practice of AABR on universal newborn hearing screening (Review). Journal of Audiology and Speech Pathology, 9, Suppl, 59-61
19. Ou. H. & Zhou, X. N (2000). Expression of Glycoconjugate in Human Eustachian Tubes with Otitis Media (Translation from Laryngoscope Vol.10, 1999). Foreign Medical Sciences- Otolaryngology, 24(3), 171-172
Introduction to Aural Rehabilitation (AUD5420)
Auditory and Vestibular Pathologies (AUD6040)