Dr. Xingli Fan is a professor in the School of Foreign Languages at Huazhong University of Science (HUST) in Wuhan, China. She has been teaching English to undergraduate and graduate students at HUST since 1992 where she served as chair of the Department of College English since 1994. Her current research is focused on intercultural communication and teaching English and Chinese as a Foreign Language.
Professor Fan stayed in Kuleuven, Belgium as a visiting scholar from 1999-2000, where she studied in the program of Culture and Development in the Faculty of Liberal Arts. She took courses in world ethnography and history of Latin America, which she says enlightened her world view.
Dr. Fan is keen on culture study and language teaching, so she feels that the WSU Confucius Institute is an ideal place for her. Dr. Fan believes that she will greatly benefit from her stay here at WSU, as she enjoys learning about communication with people from her own and other cultures.
Dr. Fan enjoys physical ball games such as ping pong, badminton and volleyball. She twice won the championship in the Ping Pong Match for the Women Staff in HUST in 2014 as well as in 2016 and has been playing for the HUST Team in Hubei Provincial Ping Pong Match for the University Staff.
Research Interest/Area of Expertise
- Applied Linguistic and Language Teaching
- Cross-Cultural Communication
Education – Degrees, Licenses, Certifications
- PhD in Applied Linguistics, School of English Language, Shanghai International Studies University，2011
- MA in Culture and Development, Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium， 2000
- MA in Linguistics and Literature, Department of Foreign Languages in Huazhong University of Science and Technology， 1994
- Post Graduate Diploma in Linguistics and Language Teaching, School of Foreign Languages, East China Normal University, Shanghai, 1991
Awards and Grants
- Provincial Funding Program on Teaching and Research ,2008
- National Social Scientific Fund on Comprehensive Appraisal of Chinese undergraduates’ Intercultural Communication Competence, 2010
- Provincial Funding Program on Teaching and Research, 2008
- Fan Xingli (2008). Fundamental Translation Coursebook for Graduate Students. Wuhan: Huazhong University of Science and Technology Press.
- Fan Weiwei, Chen Junsen, Fan Xingli(2006). Cross-cultural Communication and Foreign Language Education. Wuhan: Huazhong University of Science and Technology Press.
- Fan Xingli (2004). Graduate Course-book for Reading Writing and Translating in English. Wuhan: Huazhong University of Science and Technology Press.
- General Introduction to American and British Culture
- Language and Culture: A Comparison between Chinese and English Language
- Inter-cultural Communication
- General Introduction to Western Cultures
- Academic Writing in English