Mohamed El-Sharkawi is an assistant professor of Arabic at the department of Classical and Modern Language Literatures and Cultures, Wayne State University since 2011. Before that he taught Arabic at Bayreuth University in Germany, The American University in Cairo, and Brown University. He published seven translations from English into Arabic of introductions to linguistics and its subfields. His main field of research is the history and development of the Arabic language. He published five articles and encyclopedia lemmas on the subject. He has two books on the history of Arabic. In 2007, he published The Arabicization of the Middle East: An introduction in Arabic. A second edition of this book is now in press. In 2010, he published with Brill academic publishers The Ecology of Arabic. In addition, he published in 2014 and 2016 histories of Modern Standard Arabic and pre-Islamic Arabic in monographs, which came along several articles in peer reviewed journals.
Books In Press
1. Al-Arabiyya fi Sharq Afriqia: Muqadimma fi at-Tahgin al-Lughawiyy, [Arabic in East Africa: An Introduction to Creolization.] Cairo: General Egyptian Book Organization. (in Arabic)
1. History and Development of the Arabic Language. London: Routledge, forthcoming. Anticipated November 2016.
2. Modern Standard Arabic: History and Development. Berlin: Lambert, 2014.
3. Al-Futuhat al-Lughawiyya. [Linguistic Conquests.] Cairo: Dar aT-Tanweer, 2013.
4. The Ecology of Arabic: A Study of the Development of Arabic. Leiden: Brill, 2010.
5. Al-Tarib fi al-Qarn al-Awal al-Hijri, [Arabicization in the First Century of the Islamic Era.] Cairo: Supreme Council for Culture, 2007.
Journal Articles, Refereed Journals
6. “The Ecology of Case Marking in Modern Standard Arabic.“ Folia Orientalia (2016): forthcoming.
7. “Towards Understanding the Status of the Dual in Pre-Islamic Arabic.” Journal of Arabic and Islamic Studies (2015): 59-72.
8. “Case Marking in Pre-Islamic Arabic.” Zeitschrift für Arabische Linguistik 62 (2015): 38-67.
9. “Urbanization and the Development of Gender in the Arabic Dialects.” Journal of Arabic and Islamic Studies 14 (2014): 87-120.
10. “The Development of the Dual Paradigm in Arabic.” Al-‘Arabiyya: Journal of the American Association of Teachers of Arabic 43 (2013): 1-22.
11. “Urbanization and the Development of Arabic: The Case The Garrison Towns in the Seventh and Eighth Centuries CE.” International Journal of Ancient History 1/2 (2013): 1-35.
12. “Word Order and the Development of Written Arabic.” Language, Journal of the Cairo Linguist Group 8 (2010): 37-70.
13. “On Diglossia,” Language, Journal of the Cairo Linguist Group 6 (2007): 117-140.
14. "Socio-Demographic parameters of Arabicization in the First Century of Islam.” Language, Journal of the Cairo Linguist Group 3 (2002): 101-120.
Book Chapters Published
15. “Short Vowels in the Braille System of Arabic.” Al-lugha al-9arabiyya. Ed. Elgibaly, Alaa and Badawi, Elsaid. Cairo: The American University in Cairo Press, 2007, p. 205-212.
16. “Ecology of Case.” Encyclopedia of Arabic Language and Linguistics Online. (forthcoming)
17. “Pre-Classical Arabic.” Encyclopedia of Islam. Leiden: Brill, (2016) online.
18. “Pre-Islamic Arabic.” Encyclopedia of Arabic Language and Linguistics III, Leiden: Brill, (2008): 689-699.
19. “Foreigner Talk in Arabic.” Encyclopedia of Arabic Language and Linguistics II, Leiden: Brill, (2007): 116-122.
20. “Braille in Arabic.” Encyclopedia of Arabic Language and Linguistics I, Leiden: Brill, (2006): 316-320.
21. Akmajian, A., Demers, R., Farmer, A., Harnish, R. Ilm al-Lugha: Muqadima fi al-Lugha wat-tawasul. Cairo: Supreme Council for Translation Press, 2016.
22. Cruz, A. al-Maani al-Lughawiyya: Muqadima fi at-Tadawuliyya. Cairo: Supreme Council for Translation Press, 2016.
23. Enos, T. ed Mawsu’at Oxford lil-Balagha. Cairo: Supreme Council for Translation Press, 2014.
24. Gass, S. and Selinker, L. Muqadima fi Ta’alum al-Lugha ath-Thaniya. Cairo: Supreme Council for Translation Press, 2002.
25. Versteegh, K. Al-Lugha al-‘Arabiyya. Cairo: Supreme Council for Translation Press, 2001.
26. Brustad, K. Qawa’id al-Lahajat al-‘Arabiyya. Cairo: Supreme Council for Translation Press, 2001.
27. Armbrust, W. Ath-Thaqafa al-Jamahiriyya wal-Hadatha fi Misr. Cairo: Supreme Council for Translation Press, 1999 and 2012.
28. Anderson, B. al-Jama’at al-Mutakhayala. Cairo: Supreme Council for Translation Press, 1999.