Dr. Peraino received his B.S. in Chemical Engineering from Western Michigan University and Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences from Oakland University. He brings experience in process modeling, programming, process control, fluid dynamics, mass/energy transfer, data analysis, reaction kinetics, organic synthesis, analytical, and computational chemistry.
His instrumentation focuses are GC/MS, LC/MS, MALDI-IMS, IR, EDX, and polarimetry. Major project classes include: 1) optimization and modeling of the manufacture of large scale chemical process material; 2) optimization, synthesis, and modeling of small scale specialty organic compounds; 3) reaction modeling and kinetics using Gaussian and enzyme interactions using AutoDock; 4) analysis and quantitation of metabolites and toxins in biological, food, and environmental matrixes; 5) excipient alterations due to novel preparative technique; 6) natural product discovery and characterization; 7) histopathological exposomics by MALDI-IMS; 8) protein and protein conjugate identification and characterization; 9) quantitation of enzyme mutation, and 10) targeted metabolomic profiling.
Research interest(s)/area of expertise
- Organic synthesis, reaction kinetics, metabolomics
- B.S. Chemical Engineering: Life Sciences, Western Michigan University (ABET, EIT), 2009
- Ph.D. Biomedical Sciences: Health and Environmental Chemistry, Oakland University, 2017
- “Asymmetric synthesis of γ-lactones through Koga amine-controlled addition of enediolates to α,β-unsaturated sulfoxonium salts” Journal of Organic Chemistry, December 2, 2016, Nicholas J. Peraino, Sven Kaster, Kraig A. Wheeler, and Nessan J. Kerrigan
- "Catalytic Asymmetric Synthesis of Ketene Heterodimer β-Lactones: Scope and Limitations." Journal of Organic Chemistry, August 4, 2016, Shi Chen, Ahmad A. Ibrahim, Nicholas J. Peraino, Divya Nalla, Mukulesh Mondal, Maxwell Van Raaphorst, and Nessan J. Kerrigan
- “Diastereoselective Synthesis of γ-Lactones through Reaction of Enediolates with α,β-Unsaturated Sulfoxonium Salts” Organic Letters, March 18, 2015, Nicholas J. Peraino, Kraig A. Wheeler, and Nessan J. Kerrigan
- "Asymmetric Synthesis of γ-Lactones through Reaction of Sulfoxonium Ylides, Aldehydes and Ketenes" Tetrahedron Letters, June 6, 2014, Nicholas J. Peraino, Han-Jen Ho, Mukulesh Mondal, Nessan J. Kerrigan
- “Regioselective synthesis of highly substituted enol esters from ketoketene dimer β-lactones” Archive of Organic Chemistry, 2014, Eric C. Salo, Kyle R. Dayak, Jacob Huxford, Pei-Hsun Wei, Nicholas J. Peraino and Nessan J. Kerrigan
- “6'-Methoxy-(8S,9R)-cinchonan-9-yl N-tert-butoxycarbonyl-2-pyrrolidinecarboxylate.” Encyclopedia of Reagents for Organic Synthesis, April 22, 2013, Nicholas J. Peraino and Nessan J. Kerrigan
- “Diastereoselective Reaction of Sulfoxonium Ylides, Aldehydes and Ketenes: An Approach to trans-γ-Lactones.” Journal of Organic Chemistry, April 3, 2013. Mukulesh Mondal, Han-Jen Ho, Nicholas J. Peraino, Melanie A. Gary, Kraig A. Wheeler, and Nessan J. Kerrigan
Organic Chemistry Lab TA
Other qualifications directly relevant to courses taught
NCEES FE (EIT)