African American Studies
Research interest(s)/area of expertise
- Representations in popular culture
- 2006 Ph.D., American Culture Studies, Bowling Green State University Specialization: Critical Studies in Film, Media, and Culture
- 1999 M.A., Afro-American Studies, University of California, Los Angeles Specializations: History; Film and Television
- 1997 B.A., Political Science, Grinnell College Concentration: Afro-American Studies
Awards and grants
2014 John Coates Next Generation Award for the article – “But They Don’t Want to Play With the White Players, Right?: Depictions of Segregation and Negro League Baseball in Contemporary Popular Film”
2013 Robert Peterson Recognition Award for the book – When Baseball Isn’t White, Straight and Male: The Media and Difference in the National Pastime.
2019 Expanding the Black Film Canon: Race and Genre Across Six Decades. Lawrence, KS: University of Kansas Press.
2012 When Baseball Isn’t White, Straight, and Male: The Media and Difference in the National Pastime. Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company.
2019 African American Filic Artifacts From Body and Soul to Black Panther. The American Historian.
2016 “Far Beyond the Stars: The Framing of Blackness in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” The Journal of Popular Film and Television 44.3.
2014 “Sports History: What’s Next?” Journal of American History 101.1
2016 “Andy Murray: From Outsider to Savior and Back Again” with Dan Travis in More than Cricket and Football Ed. Joel Nathan Rosen and Maureen S. Smith. Jackson, MS: University Press of Mississippi.
2015 “I’m the King of the World?: Barry Bonds and the ‘Race’ For The Record,” in Jack Johnson to LeBron James: Essays on Sports, Race, and the Media Ed. Chris Lamb. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press (reprint).
2013 “‘Raindrops on a Window’”: Race and Sex and the Framing of the Sheryl Swoopes Narrative” in A Locker Room of Her Own: Sport, Gender, and the Construction of Athletic Reputations. Ed. Joel Nathan Rosen and David C. Ogden. Jackson, MS: University Press of Mississippi.
- On Sabbatical
- AFS 4240/ COM 4240 African Americans in Television, 4 credits, Fall 2020
- AFS 3200 / COM 3230: The African American Film Experience, 4 credits, Winter 2020
- AFS/SOC 2245: Blacks in Sport in the United States, 4 credits, winter 2017