Communication Sciences and Disorders
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
A. Administrative Appointments at Wayne State in Last Five Years
- CEU administrator for The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders (Past twelve years)
- Coordinator of Annual Kopp Lecture and Luncheon, Alumni Events, and Supervisor CEU events.
B. Committee Assignments in Last Five Years
- College/Department Committee Membership
- Admissions Committee 2008-present
- Search Clinical Faculty 2021
- CSD Salary Committee
C. Positions Held in Professional Associations in Last Five Years
- Continuing Education Board For the American Speech Language and Hearing
D. Other Professionally Related Service:
- Outcomes in Aphasia Teleconference Through ASHA March 2018
- Alumni Event 2012-2020
- Supervisors Meetings ( Three large meetings per year; Several Zoom meetings through out the Metro Detroit Area offering CEUs to externship supervisors) 20012-preesent
- Lively Letters Conference October 2014
- MSHA Conference 2009-2020
- Several Short Courses taken through Speech Pathology.com 2010-2020
- ASHA Conference 2009-2014; 2018; 2019; 2020
- Continuing Education National Committee Meeting in Washington D.C. 2018, 2019, 2020
- OTL Courses 2009-2020
- Brown Bag Series 2010-2014 WSU
- Autism Seminar WSU 2011
- American Cleft Palate Conference 2009-2014
- Acoustic Measurement of Speech 2010
- LAMP AAC Training 2010
- Kopp lecture 2009-2020
- Michigan Cleft Palate Association Conference 2009-2014
- Mayo Clinic Audiology teleconference 2013
- Multicultural Affairs in Speech-Language and Audiology2012
- Whole Brain Approach Conference 2007
McCourt, E. F., Balog, H., O’Leary, K. S., & Liening, M. (2009, November). The Assessment of Urban Preschool Children’s Emerging Print Awareness Skills. Poster session presented at the meeting of the American Speech-Language-Hearing association Convention, New Orleans, LA.
McCourt, E. F., Balog, H., O’Leary, K. S., & Liening, M. (2010 March). Criterion and norm referenced Assessment of Print Awareness in Pre-Literate Urban Preschool Children emerging print awareness skills. Poster session presented at the meeting of the Michigan Speech-Language-Hearing association Convention, Kalamazoo, MI.
Directed Study with Dr. Andruski for Kimberly Tappen (undergraduate) on Acoustic Measurements of Resonance.
Assisting Dr. Andruski in directing Joyce Bride’s research project on Cleft Palate.
Directed Study with Fotini Papaioanno (undergrad) on resonance in Cleft Palate.
Directed Honors Study with Megan Gurka on Head Injury.
Directed Honors Study with Johanna Roa on Right Hemisphere Impairment.
EducationBaccalaureate: Michigan State University; Lansing, MI 1983 Graduate: Wayne State University; Detroit, MI 1985 Postgraduate (postdoctoral):N/A Licensure:9/30/15 Certification: Certificate of Clinical Competence ASHA
Awards and grants
Award for Continuing Education 2020
Award for Continuing Education 2019
Award for Continuing Education 2018
Award for Continuing Education 2017
Award for Continuing Education 2016
Award for Continuing Education 2015
Award for Continuing Education 2014
Award for Continuing Education 2013
Award for Continuing Education 2012
Award for Continuing Education 2011
Award for Continuing Education 2010
Award for Continuing Education 2009
Award for Continuing Education 2008
Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech Mechanism SLP 5090
Clinical Practicum SLP 5360
Language and Phonological Disorders SLP 6460
Craniofacial Anomalies SLP 7621
American Speech and Hearing Association member since December 1986.
Special Interest Groups 3,11&5: Speech Science and Oral Facial Disorders; Voice and Voice Disorders; Administration and supervision
Michigan Speech and Hearing Association member since January 1987
Other qualifications directly relevant to courses taught
Invited Seminars or Lectures Presented in Last Five Years
- Presentation to Dental Residents at Children’s Hospital of Michigan 2016,2017,2018, 2019
- Presentation to the Hearing, Speech and Language Department at The Childrens Hospital of Michigan 2015/ 16
- Presentation to ENT residents at DMC 2017
- Presentation to Wayne State School of Medicine Department of Otolaryngology November 2015,2016
- Guest Lectures in Intro to Communications Disorders; Neurologic Disorders; Phonetics; Computer Proficiency WSU