3215 Faculty Administration Building
Research interest(s)/area of expertise
- Dr. Carolyn G. Loh is a former practicing planner. Her research interests include planning practice, the local planning process, intergovernmental cooperation, plan implementation, and spatial analysis.
- Dr. Loh is currently partnering with the Michigan Association of Planning to study how local governments are including equity issues in their comprehensive plans. To evaluate your city's plan using our free plan equity evaluation tool, click here.
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, B.A. in English Language and Literature, 2001
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Master of Urban Planning, 2002
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Ph.D. in Urban Planning, 2008
Loh, Carolyn. (2019). “Placemaking and Implementation: Revisiting the Performance Principle.” Land Use Policy 81, 68-75.
Loh, Carolyn G. and Rodney L. Arroyo. (2017). "Special Ethical Considerations for Planners in Private Practice." Journal of the American Planning Association 83(2), 168-179. DOI: 10.1080/01944363.2017.1286945.
Loh, Carolyn G. and Anna C. Osland (2016). "Local Land Use Planning Responses to Hydraulic Fracturing." Journal of the American Planning Association 82(3), 222-235. DOI: 10.1080/01944363.2016.1176535.
Loh, Carolyn G. (2015) “Conceptualizing and Operationalizing Planning Capacity.” State and Local Government Review 42(2), 134-145.
Loh, Carolyn G. (2015). “The Everyday Emergency: Planning and Democracy Under Austerity Regimes.” Urban Affairs Review. Published online March 30, 2015. DOI: 10.1177/1078087415577639.
Loh, Carolyn G. (2015) “Adventures in Implementation: Mandating Open Space Preservation in a Weak Mandate State.” Journal of Urban Affairs. Published online December 28, 2014. DOI: 10.1111/juaf.12182.
Loh, Carolyn G. and Richard K. Norton. (2015). “The Impact of Planning Consultants on Local Comprehensive Plans.” Journal of Planning Education and Research. 35(2), 199-208.
Gerber, Elisabeth R. and Carolyn G. Loh (2015). “Spatial Effects of Vertical and Horizontal Intergovernmental Collaboration.” Journal of Urban Affairs. Published online August 6, 2014. DOI: 10.1111/juaf.12139.
Loh, Carolyn G. and Richard K. Norton. (2013). “Planning Consultants and Local Planning: Roles and Values.” Journal of the American Planning Association. 79(2), 138-147.
Loh, Carolyn G. and Neha Sami. (2013). “Death of a Planning Department.” Land Use Policy 32, 39-49.
Loh, Carolyn G. (2012). “Four Potential Disconnects in the Local Planning Process.” Journal of Planning Education and Research 32(1), 33-47.
Loh, Carolyn G. (2011). “Assessing and Interpreting Nonconformance in Land Use Planning Implementation.” Planning Practice and Research 26(3), 271-287.
Gerber, Elisabeth R. and Carolyn G. Loh (2011). “Prospects for Expanding Regionalism.” Urban Studies 48(11), 2303-2319.
UP 6700/GPH 3600 Introduction to Geographic Systems (Fall)
GPH 3130 Introduction to Urban Geography (Winter)
UP 5010 Planning Resources and Communication (Fall)
UP 6260 Land Use Policy and Planning (Winter)