My journey in higher education began at Wayne State, where I completed my B.S. in Psychology Honors and University Honors. During my undergraduate career, I worked as a supplemental instruction (SI) leader, volunteered in psychology research labs, and created a student organization called Psychology Academic Support Services (PASS), which is still active today!
After much deliberation about graduate school programs and options, I went to Eastern Michigan University for a Master’s in Higher Education Student Affairs Administration and graduated in 2014. While at Eastern, I was the graduate assistant for supplemental instruction (SI) and taught UNIV 101, which is an introductory course to help freshmen transition from high school to the university.
I began my role as an academic advisor at Wayne State in January 2015 in computer science, then, I transitioned to the Department of Psychology in January 2022. In addition to working as an advisor, I finished a Master’s in Educational Psychology at WSU in 2017 and the Learning Design and Technology M.Ed. program in 2023. To say the least, I love school!
I am passionate about promoting student success and will do my best to mentor and support our students throughout their time at Wayne State.
- PhD., Learning Design and Technology - to be completed 2026
- M.Ed., Learning Design and Technology
- M.Ed., Educational Psychology
- M.A., Higher Education Student Affairs Administration
- B.S., Psychology Honors & University Honors
- Bailey-Crow, C., Chastain, S., Ferrante, R. (2017). Advisors Helping Advisors: Using Technology for Advisor to Advisor Communication. Academic Advising Summit, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
- Chastain, S. (2016). Your Motivation is in Another Castle: Video Games and Advising Students. American College Personnel Association - Michigan Conference, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
- Chastain, S., Lien, J. (2016). Practical Approaches to Promote a Successful Transfer Experience. Michigan Academic Advising Association Conference, Ferris State University, Big Rapids, Michigan
- Chastain, S. (2013). SI Mentoring: Reshaping Undergraduate Student Success. Michigan Tutorial Association: Connections Conference, Davenport University, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Chastain, S. (2013). SI Toolkit: Formula for Success. Michigan Tutorial Association: SI and Tutoring Conference, Jackson College, Jackson, Michigan
- Chastain, S. (2013). Supplemental Instruction and the Academic Success of Students in Science Courses. Eastern Michigan University Graduate Research Fair, Ypsilanti, Michigan