(313) 577-6891 (fax)
Research interest(s)/area of expertiseCell Biology, cell migration and invasion, adhesion and cell mechanics.
- B.S. in Microbiology, 1986 Michigan State University
- Ph.D. Cell, Developmental and Neural Biology, 1998 University of Michigan
Awards and grants
University Outstanding Graduate Mentor
College Award for Excellence in Teaching
1. Jang I and K.A. Beningo. 2019. Integrins, CAF’s and Mechanical Forces in the Progression of Cancer. Cancers. 24;11(5). Doi: 10.3390/cancers11050721.
2. Indra, I., Gasparski, A., and K.A. Beningo. 2018. An in vitro correlation of metastatic capacity and dual mechanostimulation. PLoS One. 2018 Nov 14;13(11):e0207490. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0207490. eCollection 2018.
3. Gasparski A, S. Ozarkar and K.A. Beningo. 2017. Spatially Randomized Mechanical Strain Promotes the Maturation of Invadopodia and Enhances Cancer Cell Invasion in Vitro. JCS. DOI: 10.1242/jcs.199760.
4. Mehta, N.J., Asmaro, K., Hermiz, D.J., Njus, M.M., Saleh, A.H., Beningo, K.A., and D. Njus. 2016. Hypochlorite Converts dopamine oxidation products into redox- cycling compounds: A possible role in Parkinson’s disease. FRBM, 101:44-52.
5. Gasparski A. and K.A. Beningo. 2015. Mechanoreception at the membrane; More than the integrins. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. S0003-9861(15)30022-9. doi: 10.1016/j.abb.2015.07.017.
6. Subramonian, D., Raghunayakula, S., Olsen, J.V., Beningo, K.A., Paschen, W., X.D. Zhang. 2014. Analysis of changes in SUMO-2/3 modification during breast cancer progression and metastasis. J. Proteome Res., 13(9):3905-18.
7. Indra, I., and K.A. Beningo. 2011. An In-vitro Correlation of Metastatic Capacity, Substrate Rigidity, and ECM Composition. J. Cell Biochem, 112(11):3151-8.
8. Menon, S., C.M. Kang and K.A. Beningo. 2011. Galectin-3 secretion and tyrosine phosphorylation is dependent on the calpain small subunit, Calpain 4. BBRC 24;410(1):91-6.
9. Menon, S. and K.A. Beningo. 2011. Cancer cell invasion is enhanced by applied mechanical stimulation. PLoS One Feb 17;6(2):e17277.
10. Indra, I., V. Undyala, C.E. Kandow, U. Thirumurthi, M. Dembo and K.A. Beningo. 2011. An In-vitro correlation of mechanical forces and metastatic capacity. Phys Biol. Feb;8(1):015015. Featured cover article. Top 3% of downloads for the suite of journals published by the Institute of Physics (IOP).
11. Undyala, V., M. Dembo, K. Cembrola, B. Perrin, A. Huttenlocher, J. Elce, P. Greer, Y.-L. Wang and K.A. Beningo. 2008. The Calpain small subunit regulates cell-substrate mechanical interactions during fibroblast migration. J. Cell Science 121:3581-3588. Highlighted by journal “In this Issue” column.
12. Kandow, C.E., P.C. Georges, P.A. Janmey, K.A. Beningo. 2007. Polyacrylamide Hydrogels for Cell Mechanics: Steps towards optimization and alternative uses. Methods in Cell Biology: Cell Mechanics, MICB 83;29-46.
13. Beningo, K.A. and Y.-L. Wang. 2007. Double-hydrogel substrate as a model system for 3D cell culture. Methods in Mol. Biol. 370:203-211.
14. Beningo, K.A., K. Hamao, M. Dembo, Y.-L. Wang and H. Hosoya. 2006. Traction forces of fibroblasts are regulated by the Rho-dependent kinase but not by the myosin light chain kinase. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 456:224-231.
15. Beningo, K.A., M. Dembo and Y.-L. Wang. 2004. Responses of fibroblasts to anchorage of dorsal extracellular matrix receptors. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 101(52):18024-29.
16. Kaverina, I., O. Krylyshkina, K. Beningo, Kurt Anderson, Y.-L. Wang, and J.V. Small. 2002. Tensile stress stimulates microtubule outgrowth in living cells. J. Cell Sci. 115(11):2283-2291.
17. Beningo, K. A., C.-M. Lo, and Y.-L. Wang. 2002. Flexible polyacrylamide substrata for the analysis of mechanical interactions at cell-substratum adhesions. Methods in Cell Biology 69:325-339.
18. Beningo, K.A., and Y.-L. Wang. 2002. Fc-receptor mediated phagocytosis is regulated by mechanical properties of the target. J. Cell Sci. 115:849-856.
19. Beningo, K.A. and Y.-L. Wang. 2002. Flexible substrata for the detection of cellular traction forces. Trends in Cell Biol. 112(2):79-84.
20. Beningo, K.A., M. Dembo, I. Kaverina, J.V. Small, and Y.-L. Wang. 2001. Nascent focal adhesions are responsible for the generation of strong propulsive forces in migrating fibroblasts. J. Cell Biol. 153(4):881-887. featured cover.(Images from manuscript included in the college textbook Cell and Molecular Biology, 4th Edition, by Gerald Karp).
21. Kaverina, I., O. Krylyshkina, M. Gimono, K. Beningo, Y.-L. Wang, and J.V. Small. 2000. Enforced polarization and locomotion of fibroblasts lacking microtubules. Curr. Biol. 10:739-742.
22. Beningo, K., S. Lillie and S. Brown. 2000. The yeast kinesin-related protein Smy1p exerts its effects on the class V myosin Myo2p via a physical interaction. Mol. Bio. Cell 11:691-702.
23. Swanson, J., M. Johnson, K. Beningo, P. Post, M. Mooseker, and N. Araki. 1999. A contractile activity that closes phagosomes in macrophages. J. Cell Sci. 112 (pt3):307-16.
24. Ahn, K., S. Pan, K. Beningo, and D. Hupe. 1995. A permanent cell line (EA.hy926) preserves the characteristics of endothelin converting enzyme from primary human umbilical vein endothelial cells. Life Sci. 56, 2331-2341.
25. Ahn, K., K.A. Beningo, G. Olds, D. Hupe. 1992. The endothelin converting enzyme from human umbilical vein is a membrane-bound metalloprotease and similar to that of bovine aortic endothelial cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 89, 8606-8610.
26. Sebolt-Leopold, J.S., P.W. Vincent, K.A. Beningo, W.L. Elliott, W.R. Leopold, T.G. Heffner,J.N. Wiley, M.A. Stier, and M.J. Suto. 1991. Pharmacologic/ pharmacokinetic evaluation of emesis induced by analogs of RSU 1069 and its control by antiemetic agents. Int. J. Radiation Oncology, and Biol. Phys. 22, 549- 551.
27. Kessel, D., P.R. Thompson, K.A. Saatio, and K.D. Nantwi. 1987. Tumor localization and photosensitization by sulfonated derivatives of tetraphenylporphine. Photochem. Photobiol. 45, 787-790.
- BIO6000 Cell and Molecular Biology
- BIO4630 Histology
BIO6000 Cell and Molecular Biology
BIO7000 Advances in Cell and Developmental Biology
*** Accepting doctoral and masters students for F22 rotations.