Kequan (Kevin) Zhou
422 Life Science
Wayne State University
Kequan (Kevin) Zhou
Research Interest/Area of Expertise
Dr. Zhou's research focuses on value-added nutraceutical and functional food development for promoting human health. His group is working on the identification and development of novel bioactive food components, understanding specific functionalities and mechanisms in potential prevention and treatment of chronic diseases in particular Type 2 diabetes and obesity. Dr. Zhou's research has been supported by NIH, USDA, and NSF.
Education – Degrees, Licenses, Certifications
- PhD University of Maryland-College Park, 2005
- MS China CDC, Beijing, 2001
- MD Shangdong Medical Univerisyt (Now Shangdong University), Jinan, 1998
Awards and Grants
2016 Career Development Chair Award, Wayne State University
2012 Finalist for the 244th American Chemical Society Young Scientist Award, the Agricultural and Food Chemistry Division
1) Zhou, K*. 2017. Strategies to promote abundance of A. muciniphila, an emerging probiotics in the gut, evidence from dietary intervention studies. Journal of Functional Foods. 33, 194-201.
2) Sun, S., Liu, J., Sun, X., Zhu, W., Yang, F., Felczak, L., Dou, P., Zhou, K*. 2017. Novel Annonaceous acetogenins from Graviola (Annona muricata) fruits with strong anti-proliferative activity. Tetrahedron Letters. 58, 1895-1899.
3) Sun, S., Canning, C., Wang, k., Zhu, W., Yang, F., Zhang, Y., Zhou, K*. 2017. Antibacterial Activity of 2-(3′,5′-Dibromo-2′-methoxyphenoxy)-3,5-dibromophenol Isolated from Phyllospongia papyracea” Natural Product Communications. 12, 567-569.
4) Zhu, W., Sun, S., Yang, F., Zhou, K*. 2017. Purification and characterization of antioxidative peptides prepared from pea protein with strong inhibitory activity on lipid oxidation. Reactive Oxygen Species. 3, 208-217.
5) Jen, K., Jamil H. Zhou, K., Breejen, K., Arnetz B. 2017. Sex Differences and Predictors of Changes in Body Weight and Noncommunicable Diseases in a Random, Newly-Arrived Group of Refugees Followed for Two Years. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 1-12.
6) Sun, S., Kadouh, H., Zhu, W., Zhou, K*. 2016. Bioactivity-guided isolation and purification of α-glucosidase inhibitor, 6-O-D-glycosides, from Tinta Cão grape pomace. Journal of Functional Foods. 23, 573-579.
7) Kadouh, H., Sun, S., Zhu, W., Zhou, K*. 2016. α-Glucosidase inhibiting activity and bioactive compounds of six red wine grape pomace extracts. Journal of Functional Foods. 26, 577-584.
8) Zhou, N., Zhu, W., Yang, F., Zhou, K*. 2016. In Vitro Gastrointestinal Digestion Model to Monitor the Antioxidant Properties and Bioavailability of Phenolic Antioxidants from Elderberry. Reactive Oxygen Species. 2, 421-431.
9) Sun, S., Liu, J., Zhou, N., Zhu, W., Dou, P., Zhou, K*. 2016. Isolation of Three New Annonacous Acetogenins from Graviola Fruit (Annona muricata) and their Anti-Proliferation on Human Prostate Cancer Cell PC-3. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters. 26, 4382–4385.
10) Sun, X., Sun, S., Ference, C., Zhu, W., Zhou, N., Zhang, Y., Zhou, K*. 2015. A potent antimicrobial compound isolated from Clathria cervicornis. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 25, 67–69.
11) Sun, S., Canning, C., Bhargava, k., Sun, X., Zhu, W., Zhou, N., Zhang, Y., Zhou, K*. 2015. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers with potent and broad spectrum antimicrobial activity from the marine sponge Dysidea. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters. 25, 2181-2183.
12) Jen, K., Zhou, K., Arnetz B., Jamil H. 2015. Pre-and Post-displacement Stressors and Body Weight Development in Iraqi Refugees in Michigan. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 17, 1468-1475.
13) Sun, S., J. Liu., Kadouh, H., Sun, X., Zhou, K*. 2014. Three new anti-proliferative Annonaceous acetogenins with mono-tetrahydrofuran ring from graviola fruit (Annona muricata). Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters. 24, 2773-2776.
14) Sun, X., Sui, S., Ference, C., Zhang, Y., Sun, S., Zhou, N., Zhu, W., Zhou, K*. 2014. Antimicrobial and mechanical properties of β-cyclodextrin inclusion essential oils-chitosan film. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 62,8914-8918.
15) Fu, Y., Luo, J., Zhenquan Jia, Z., Zhen, W., Zhou, K., Gilbert, E., Dongmin Liu, D. 2014. Baicalein Protects against Type 2 Diabetes via Promoting Islet β-Cell Function in Obese Diabetic Mice. International Journal of Endocrinology. Available online.
16) Sun, X., Narciso, J., Wang, Z., Ference, C., Bai, J., Zhou, K*. 2014. Effects of chitosan coatings with or without essential oils on safety and quality of fresh blueberries. Journal of Food Science. 79, M955-M960.
17) Sun, X., Bai, J., Ference, C., Wang, Z., Zhang, Y., Narciso, J., Zhou, K*. 2014. The antimicrobial activity of controlled-release chlorine dioxide gas on fresh blueberries. Journal of Food Protection. 77, 1127-32.
18) Sun, X., Wang, Z., Kadouh, H., Zhou, K*. 2014. The antimicrobial, mechanical, physical and structural properties of chitosan-gallic acid films. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 57, 83-89.
NFS 6150 Functionl Foods for Health (3 credits, Winter)
NFS 4150 Advanced Food Science (3 credits, Winter)
NFS 6000 Nutrtnl Biochmstry (3 credits, Team taught, Fall)
NFS 5140 Lab Techniques (3 credits, Fall)