Kequan (Kevin) Zhou
422 Life Science
Wayne State University
Kequan (Kevin) Zhou
Research Interest/Area of Expertise
Dr. Zhou's research focuses on value-added nutraceutical and functional food development for promoting human health. His group is working on the identification and development of novel bioactive food components, understanding specific functionalities and mechanisms in potential prevention and treatment of chronic diseases in particular Type 2 diabetes and obesity. Dr. Zhou's research has been supported by NIH, USDA, and NSF.
Education – Degrees, Licenses, Certifications
- PhD Univerisyt of Maryland-College Park, 2005
- MS China CDC, Beijing, 2001
- MD Shangdong Medical Univerisyt (Now Shangdong University), Jinan, 1998
Awards and Grants
2016 Career Development Chair Award, Wayne State University
2012 Finalist for the 244th American Chemical Society Young Scientist Award, the Agricultural and Food Chemistry Division
1) Sun, S., Liu, J., Zhou, N., Zhu, W., Dou, QP., Zhou, K*. Isolation of Three New Annonacous Acetogenins from Graviola Fruit (Annona muricata) and their Anti-Proliferation on Human Prostate Cancer Cell PC-3. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. Available online.
2) Sun, X., Sun, S., Ference, C., Zhu, W., Zhou, N., Zhang, Y., Zhou, K*. 2015. A potent antimicrobial compound isolated from Clathria cervicornis. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 25, 67–69.
3) Sun, S., Kadouh, H., Sun, X., Zhou, K*. 2015. Three new anti-proliferative Annonaceous acetogenins with mono-tetrahydrofuran ring from graviola fruit (Annona muricata). Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters. 24, 2773-2776.
4) Sun, X., Sui, S., Ference, C., Zhang, Y., Sun, S., Zhou, N., Zhu, W., Zhou, K*. 2014. Antimicrobial and mechanical properties of β-cyclodextrin inclusion essential oils-chitosan film. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 62, 8914-8918.
5) Fu, Y., Luo, J., Zhenquan Jia, Z., Zhen, W., Zhou, K., Gilbert, E., Dongmin Liu, D. 2014. Baicalein Protects against Type 2 Diabetes via Promoting Islet β-Cell Function in Obese Diabetic Mice. International Journal of Endocrinology. Available online.
6) Sun, X., Narciso, J., Wang, Z., Ference, C., Bai, J., Zhou, K*. 2014. Effects of chitosan coatings with or without essential oils on safety and quality of fresh blueberries. Journal of Food Science. 79, M955-M960.
7) Sun, X., Bai, J., Ference, C., Wang, Z., Zhang, Y., Narciso, J., Zhou, K*. 2014. The antimicrobial activity of controlled-release chlorine dioxide gas on fresh blueberries. Journal of Food Protection. 77, 1127-32.
8) Sun, X., Wang, Z., Kadouh, H., Zhou, K*. 2014. The antimicrobial, mechanical, physical and structural properties of chitosan-gallic acid films. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 57, 83-89.
9) Jen, K., Zhou, K., Arnetz B., Jamil H. 2014. Pre-and Post-displacement Stressors and Body Weight Development in Iraqi Refugees in Michigan. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. Available online.
10) Canning, C., Sun, S., Ji, X., Gupta, S., Zhou, K*. 2013. Antibacterial and Cytotoxic Activity of Isoprenylated Coumarin Mammea A/AA Isolated from Mammea Africana. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 147, 259-62.
11) Chiang, C., Kadouh, H., Zhou, K*. 2013. Phenolic compounds and antioxidant properties of gooseberry as affected by in vitro digestion. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 51, 417-422.
12) Zhou, K*., Canning, C., Sun, S. 2013. Effects of rice protein hydrolysates prepared by microbial proteases and ultrafiltration on free radicals and meat lipid oxidation. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 50, 331-335.
13) Zhou, K*., Sun, S., Canning, C. 2012. Production and functional characterization of antioxidative hydrolysates from corn protein via enzymatic hydrolysis and ultrafiltration. Food Chemistry, 135, 1192–1197.
14) Zhou, K*., Raffoul, J. 2012. Potential anticancer properties of grape antioxidants. Journal of Oncology, online available.
15) Dai, Y., Hogan, S., Schmelz, E., Ju, Y., Canning, C., Zhou, K*. 2011. Selective growth inhibition of human breast cancer cells by Graviola fruit extract in Vitro and in Vivo involving down-regulation of EGFR expression. Nutrition and Cancer 63, 795-801.
16) Hogan, S., Canning, C., Sun, S., Sun, X., Kadouh, H., Zhou, K*. 2011. Dietary supplementation of grape skin extract improves glycemic control and inflammation in diet-induced obese mice fed a Western high fat diet. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 59, 3035-41.
17) Zhang, L., Hogan, S., Li, J., Sun, S., Canning, C., Zheng, S.J., Zhou, K*. 2011. Grape skin extract inhibits mammalian intestinal α-glucosidase activity and suppresses postprandial glycemic response in streptozocin-treated mice. Food Chemistry 126, 466-471.
18) Hogan, S., Canning, C., Sun, S., Sun, X., Zhou, K*. 2010. Effects of grape pomace antioxidant extract on oxidative stress and inflammation in diet induced obese mice. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 58, 11250–11256.
19) Hogan, S., Zhang, L., Li, J., Sun, S., Canning, C., Zhou, K*. 2010. Antioxidant rich grape pomace extract suppresses postprandial hyperglycemia in diabetic mice by specifically inhibiting alpha-glucosidase. Nutrition and Metabolism 7, 71-79.
20) Chung, H., Ji, X., Canning, C., Sun, S., Zhou, K*. 2010. Comparison of different strategies for soybean antioxidant extraction. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 58, 4508–4512.
21) Zhang, L., Li, J., Zhou, K*. 2010. Chelating and radical scavenging activities of soy protein hydrolysates prepared from microbial proteases and their effect on meat lipid peroxidation. Bioresource Technology, 101, 2084-2089.
22) Zhang, L., Li, J., Hogan, S., Chung, H., Welbaum, G. E., Zhou, K*. 2010. Inhibitory effect of raspberries on starch digestive enzyme and their antioxidant properties and phenolic composition. Food Chemistry, 119, 592-599.
23) Hogan, S., Chung, H., Zhang, L., Li, J., Lee, Y., Dai, Y., Zhou, K*. 2010. Antiproliferative and antioxidant properties of anthocyanin-rich extract from Açai. Food Chemistry, 118, 208-214.
24) Chen, W., Jia, Z., Zhu, H., Zhou, K., Li, Y., Misra, H. P. 2010. Ethyl pyruvate inhibits peroxynitrite-induced DNA damage and hydroxyl radical generation: implications for neuroprotection. Neurochemical Research. 35, 336-342.
25) Hogan, S., Zhang, L., Li, J., Wang, H., Zhou, K*. 2009. Preparation of antioxidative peptides from milk protein by microbial proteases and their effects on lipid oxidation in cooked beef. Food Chemistry. 117, 438-443.
26) Hogan, S., Zhang, L., Chung, H., Huang, Z., Zoecklein, B., Li, J., Zhou, K*. 2009. Antioxidant properties and bioactive components of Norton (Vitis aestivalis) and Cabernet Franc (Vitis vinifera) wine grapes. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 42, 1269-1274.
27) Chen, W., Zhu, H., Li, J., Misra, H. P., Zhou, K*., Li, Y*. 2009. Inhibition of peroxynitrite-mediated DNA strand cleavage and hydroxyl radical formation by aspirin at pharmacologically relevant concentrations: implications for cancer intervention. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communication. 390, 142-147.
28) Ballard, T. S., Mallikarjunan, P., Zhou, K., O'Keefe, S. F. 2009. Optimizing the extraction of phenolic antioxidants from peanut skins using response surface methodology. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 57,3064-3072.
29) Zhu, H., Jia, Z., Zhou, K., Misra, H. P., Santo, A., Gabrielson, K. L., Li, Y. 2009. Cruciferous dithiolethione-mediated coordinated Induction of total cellular and mitochondrial antioxidants and phase 2 enzymes in human primary cardiomyocytes: cytoprotection against oxidative/electrophilic stress and doxorubicin toxicity. Experimental Biology and Medicine. 234, 418-429.
NFS 6150 Functionl Foods for Health (3 credits, Winter)
NFS 4150 Advanced Food Science (3 credits, Winter)
NFS 6000 Nutrtnl Biochmstry (3 credits, Team taught, Fall)
NFS 5140 Lab Techniques (3 credits, Fall)