Research Interest/Area of Expertise
My major research interests include the effects of stereotypes on workplace outcomes, biases in performance appraisal, age and workplace issues as well as work-family conflict/balance.
Education – Degrees, Licenses, Certifications
- Ph.D., I/O Psychology Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois, 1998
- MBA, University of Wisconsin - Madison, 1992
Awards and Grants
Agency: Alfred P. Sloan Center on Aging and Work
Title: Age and Health as Moderators of the Influence of Time-Place Management Policies on Work Outcomes.
Role: Co-PI (Co-PI: Cort Rudolph, FIU)
Dates: January 2012 - January 2013
Total Funds: $5000.00
Title: Graduate Student Fellowship
Role: PI (Student Supervisor)
Dates: August 2011 - August 2014
Total Funds: $90,000
Title: Improving Clinical System Communication to Increase Trial Offers to Cancer Patients
Role: Co-investigator (PI: T. Albrecht)
Dates: August 2009 – August 2011
Total Funds: $400,000
Fellow of APA, Division 14
Humboldt Research Fellowship, August 2004 – May 2005
College of Science Teaching Award, 2002
Wayne State University Outstanding Graduate Mentor Award, 2008
Baltes, B.B., Rudolph, C., & Zacher, H. (Eds)., (In progress). Work Across the Lifespan. Elsevier.
Student Authors in Bold
- Clark, M. A., Krenn, D., Early, B. J., Baltes, B. B. (In press). Work-family behavioral role conflict scale: Scale development and validation. Journal of Business and Psychology.
- Zabel, K. L., Biermeier-Hanson, B., Baltes, B, B., Early, B.J., Shepard, A. (2017). Generational Differences in Work Ethic: Fact or Fiction? Journal of Business and Psychology, 32, 301-315.
- Rudolph, C. W., & Baltes, B. B. (2017). Age and Health Jointly Moderate the Influence of Flexible Work Arrangements on Work Engagement: Evidence from Two Empirical Studies. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology.
- Thrasher, G., Zabel, K., Wynne, K., & Baltes, B. (2016). The Importance of Workplace Motives in Understanding Work-Family Issues for Older Workers. Work, Aging and Retirement, 2, 1-11.
- Thrasher, G., Bramble, R., Baltes, B. B. (2016). Job Performance and Job Attitudes in Later Life: The Role of Motives. In R. Burke, C. Cooper & A. Antoniou (Eds.). The Aging Workforce: Individual, Organizational and Societal Challenges. Emerald Publishing. United Kingdom.
- Thrasher, G., Zabel, K., Baltes, B. B. (2015). Resiliency at Work for Older Employees. In R. Burke, C. Cooper & A. Antoniou (Eds.). The Multigenerational Workforce: Challenges and Opportunities for Organisations. Edward Elgar, United Kingdom.
- Baltes, B. B., Wynne, K.. T., Sirabian, M. A., Krenn, D. R., & de Lange, A. H. (2014). Future time perspective, regulatory focus, and selection, optimization, and compsensation: Testing a longitudinal model. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 34, 1120 - 1133.
- Rudolph, C. W., & Baltes, B. B., (2013). Mitigating the impact of sterotypes is more practical than holding peopole accountable for them. Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, 6, 423-429.
- Nieminen, L.R.G., Rudolph, C.W., Baltes, B.B., Casper, C., Wynne, K.T., Kirby, L.C. (2013). The combined effects of contextual information and ratee bodyweight on performance judgments. Journal of Applied Social Psycnology, 43, 527 - 543.
- Rudolph, C. W, Baltes, B. B., Zhdanova, L. S., Clark, M. A., Bal, A. C. (2012) Testing the structured free recall intervention for reducing the impact of bodyweight-based stereotypes on performance ratings in immediate and delayed contexts, Journal of Business and Psychology, 27, 205-222.
- Bal, A.B., Reiss, A.E.B., Rudolph, C.W., & Baltes, B.B. (2011). Examining positive and negative perceptions of older workers: A meta- analysis. The Journal of Gerontology: Series B - Psychological Sciences, 66B, 687-698.
- Baltes, B. B., Zhdanova, L. S., Clark, M. A. (2011). Examining the relationships between personality, coping strategies, and work–family conflict. Journal of Business and Psychology, 4, 517-530.
- Baltes, B. B., Bauer, C. B., & Frensch. P. (2007). Does a Structured Free Recall Intervention Reduce The Effect of Stereotypes on Performance Ratings and by What Cognitive Mechanism? Journal of Applied Psychology, 92, 151-164.
- Baltes, B. B., & Heydens-Gahir, H.A., (2003). Reduction of Work-Family Conflict Through the Use of Selection, Optimization, and Compensation Behaviors. Journal of Applied Psychology, 88, 1005-1018.
PSY 8150 - Multivariate Analysis in Psychology
PSY 2100 - Psychology and the Workplace
PSY 6540 - Organizational Staffing
PSY 7520 - Selection and Placement
PSY 7500 - Research Methods
PSY 8150 - Multivariate Analysis in Psychology
PSY 8170 - Meta-Analysis
PSY 8740 - Structural Equation Modeling
Google Scholar Citations