Associate Dean of Personnel
Professor of Physics
Dean's Office, Department of Physics and Astronomy
Ratna Naik has been serving as the associate dean of faculty affairs and academic personnel in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences since July 2016. She joined Wayne State University in 1989 as an assistant professor of physics and was promoted to associate professor with tenure in 1995 and to full professor in 2000. She served as the chair of the Department Physics and Astronomy during 2005-2015.
Her recent research efforts have been focused on the investigation of magnetic nanoparticles for biomedical applications, multiferroic nanocomposites for sensor applications, and Li-iron phosphates and silicates cathode materials as well as Li-La-Zr-oxide solid electrolytes for Li-ion battery applications. She has over 200 publications in refereed journals and conference proceedings in various fields of physics. She has developed and taught courses in various spectroscopy and material characterization techniques.
Research interest(s)/area of expertise
- Experimental condensed matter physics:Magnetic, Ferroelectric and Multiferroic properties (thin films, nanostructure composites, nanoparticles)Optical and Electronic Properties (Wide bandgap and semiconductor nitrides and oxides)Electrochemical properties for energy storage applications (super capacitors; cathode and solid electrolytes for Li-ion batteries)Material characterization using X-ray Diffraction, Electron Microscopy, optical spectroscopy (Infrared and Raman), magnetometry (dc and ac), Impedance spectroscopyBiomedical Applications of Raman Spectroscopy for cancer detectionBiomedical Applications of superparamagnetic nanoparticles for theranostics (therapy and diagnostics)
- Synthesis and characterization of multiferroic materials
- Magnetic oxide nanoparticles for magnetic hyperthermia applications
- Nanocomposite cathode materials (Lithium iron phosphates and silicates) for Li-ion battery
- MnO2 based nanocomposites for Supercapacitors
- Lithium Lanthanum Zirconium Oxide based Solid ionic electrolytes for Li-ion battery
- Ph. D, Physics, West Virginia University, 1982
Awards and grants
WSU-Physics Department-Richard Barber Faculty Recognition Award-2016
WSU-Distinguished Graduate Faculty Award 2013
WSU-Outstanding Graduate Mentor Award -WSU 2008
WSU-President’s Research Enhancement Award-WSU 2003
WSU-Outstanding Scholarship Achievements (Women History Month)-2000
WSU- College of Science Teaching Award-WSU 1999
President's Award for Excellence in Teaching-WSU 1995
Career Development Award Chair-WSU 1996 Faculty Research Award -WSU 1990
1. M. Palihawadana-Arachchige, H. Nemala, V.M. Naik, and R. Naik, “Effect of magnetic dipolar interactions on temperature dependent magnetic hyperthermia in ferrofluids”, Journal of Applied Physics, 121, 023901 (8 pages), 2017.
2. K.S. Dhindsa, A. Kumar, G. A. Nazri, V. M. Naik, V. K. Garg, A. C. Oliveira, P. P. Vaishnava, Z. X. Zhou, R. Naik, "Enhanced electrochemical performance of LiFePO4/C nanocomposites due to in situ formation of Fe2P impurities", Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 20, 2275–2282, 2016.
3. A. Kumar, O.D. Jayakumar, V. M. Naik, G. A. Nazri, R. Naik, "Improved electrochemical properties of solvothermally synthesized Li2FeSiO4/C nanocomposites: A comparison between solvothermal and sol-gel methods", Solid State Ionics, 294, 15–20, 2016.
4. K. Bazzi, M. Nazri, V. M. Naik, V. K. Garg, A.C. Oliveira, P. P. Vaishnava, G. A. Nazri, R.Naik, “Enhancement of electrochemical behavior of nanostructured LiFePO4/Carbon cathode material with excess Li”, Journal of Power Sources, 306, 17-23, 2016.
5. E. H. Abdelhamid, O. D. Jayakumar, V. Kotari, B.P. Mandal, R. Rao, V.M Naik, R. Naik and A. K. Tyagi "Multiferroic PVDF–Fe3O4 hybrid films with reduced graphene oxide and ZnO nanofillers" RSC Advances, 6, 20089-20094, 2016.
6. O. D. Jayakumar, E. H. Abdelhamid, V. Kotari, B. P. Mandal, R. Rao, Jagannath, V. M. Naik, R. Naik and A. K. Tyagi, “Fabrication of flexible and self-standing inorganic–organic three phase magneto-dielectric PVDF based multiferroic nanocomposite films through a small loading of graphene oxide (GO) and Fe3O4 nanoparticles”, Dalton Trans., 15872, 44, 2015.
7. B. Tiwari, A. Dixit, R. Naik, G. Lawes and M.S.R. Rao, “Magnetostructural and magnetocaloric properties of bulk LaCrO3 system”, Mater. Res. Express, 2, 026103, 2015.
8. D. P. Dutta, B. P. Mandal, E. Abdelhamid, R. Naik and A. K. Tyagi, “Enhanced magneto-dielectric coupling in multiferroic Fe and Gd codoped PbTiO3 nanorods synthesized via microwave assisted technique”, Dalton Trans., 11388, 44, 2015.
9. T. Meng, M. Ara, L. Wang, R. Naik, K. Y. S. Ng, “Enhanced capacity for lithium–air batteries using LaFe0.5Mn0.5O3–CeO2 composite catalyst”, J. Mater. Sci, 4058-4066, 49, 2014.
10. Jerina Majeed, O.D. Jayakumar, B.P. Mandal, H.G. Salunke, R. Naik, A.K. Tyagi, “Facile synthesis of flower like FePt@ZnO core–shell structure and its bifunctional properties”, J. Alloys and Compounds, 95-100, 597, 2014.
11. P. Thapa, G. Lawesa, B. Nadgorny, R. Naik, C. Sudakar, W.J. Schaff, A. Dixit, “Ferromagnetism and spin polarization in indium nitride, indium oxynitride, and Cr substituted indium oxynitride ﬁlms”, Appl. Surf. Sci. 189-193, 295, 2014.
12. K. Bazzi, B. P. Mandal, M. Nazri, V. M. Naik, V. K. Garg, A.C. Oliveira, P. P. Vaishnava, G. A. Nazri, R.Naik, “Effect of Surfactants on the Electrochemical Behavior of LiFePO4 Cathode Material for Lithium Ion Batteries”, Journal of Power Sources, 267, 67-74, 2014.
13. S. Devpura, K.N. Barton, S.L. Brown, O. Palyvoda, S. Kalkanis, F.Siddiqui, V.M. Naik, R. Naik, and I.J. Chetty “The role of Raman spectroscopy in early stage cancer detection and feasibility for application in radiation therapy response assessment”, Medical Physics,41 050901 (15 pages), 2014.
14. H. Nemala, J. S. Thakur, V. M. Naik, P. P. Vaishnava, G. Lawes and R. Naik, “Investigation of magnetic properties of Fe3O4 nanoparticles using temperature dependent magnetic hyperthermia in ferrofluids”, Journal of Applied Physics, 116, 034309 (6 pages), 2014.
15. K. S. Dhindsa, B.P. Mandal, K. Bazzi, M. W. Lin, M. Nazri, G.A. Nazri, V. M. Naik, V. K. Garg, A.C. Oliveira, P.Vaishnava, R. Naik, Z.X. Zhou, "Enhanced electrochemical performance of graphene modified LiFePO4 cathode material for lithium ion batteries". Solid State Ionics, 253, 94–100, 2013.
16. D. Mishra, B.P. Mandal, R. Mukherjee, R. Naik, G. Lawes, B. Nadgorny, “Oxygen vacancy enhanced room temperature magnetism in Al-doped MgO nanoparticles”, Appl. Phys. Lett 102, 182404 (2013).
17. O.D. Jayakumar, B.P. Mandal, J. Majeed, G. Lawes, R. Naik, A.K. Tyagi, “Inorganic-organic multiferroic hybrid films of Fe3O4 and PVDF with significant magnetodielectric coupling”, Journal of Materials Chemistry C 1, 3710 (2013).
18. S. Devpura, J. S. Thakur, J. M. Poulik, R. Rabah, V. M. Naik and R. Naik, "Raman spectroscopic investigation of frozen and deparaffinized tissue sections of pediatric tumors: neuroblastoma and ganglioneuroma", Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, 44, 370–376, 2013 .
19. J. Majeed, O. D. Jayakumar, H. G. Salunke, Balaji P. Mandal, G. Lawes, R. Naik and A. K. Tyagi, “ Multifunctional hybrid structures of ferromagnetic FePt and ferroelectric BaTiO3 nanoparticles: facile synthesis and characterization”, RSC Advances, 3, 596-602, 2013.
20. Dimple P. Dutta, Balaji P. Mandal, R. Naik, G. Lawes and A. K. Tyagi, “Magnetic, Ferroelectric and Magnetocapacitive properties of Sonochemically Synthesized Sc doped BiFeO3 nanoparticles”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C 117, 2382 (2013).
21. B. Ramachandran, A. Dixit, R. Naik, G. Lawes, M.S.R. Rao, “Dielectric relaxation and magneto-dielectric effect in polycrystalline Bi0.9Ca0.1FeO2.95”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 252902 (2012).
22. B. Ramachandran, A. Dixit, R. Naik, G. Lawes and M. S. R. Rao, “Weak ferromagnetic ordering in Ca doped polycrystalline BiFeO3 “, Journal of Applied Physics 111, 023910 (1-4) (2012).
23. S. Devpura, J. S. Thakur, S. Sethi, V. M. Naik and R. Naik, "Diagnosis of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma using Raman spectroscopy: tongue tissues", Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, 43, 490–496, 2012.
24. K. Bazzi, K.S. Dhindsa, A. Dixit, M. B. Sahana, C. Sudakar, M. Nazri, Z.X. Zhou, P. Vaishnava, V. M. Naik, G.A. Nazri1 and R.Naik, "Nanostructured high specific capacity C-LiFePO4 cathode material for lithium ion batteries" Journal of Materials Research, 27, 424-430, 2012.
25. M. B. Sahana, C. Sudakar, A. Dixit, J. S. Thakur, R. Naik and V. M. Naik, "Quantum confinement effects and band gap engineering of SnO2 nanocrystals in a MgO matrix", Acta Materialia, 60, 1072–1078, 2012.