Research Interest/Area of Expertise
Research interests on the chemistry of marine organisms and plants. Structure elucidation by 1D, 2D, and 3D NMR spectroscopy of biologically active natural product compounds from marine organisms and plants as well as characterization of organic compounds from synthetic pathways.
Education – Degrees, Licenses, Certifications
- University of Damascus, Damascus, Syria Chemistry B. S. 1977 University of Oklahoma Chemistry Ph.D. 1984
Awards and Grants
Wayne StateUniversityCollege of Science Presidential Bounce Service Award, 1998
1. M. B. Ksebati, L. S. Ciereszko and F. J. Schmitz,"11b, 12b-epoxypukalide,A Furanocembranoide from the Gorgonian Leptogorgia setacea," J. Nat, prod.,1984, 47,1009.
2. M. B. Ksebati and F. J. Schmitz, "24e-methyl-5a-cholestane-3b,5,6b,22R,24-pentanol 6- Acetate: New polyhydroxylated sterol from the Soft Coral Asterospicularia randalli," Steroids, 1984,43,639.
3. M. B. Ksebati and F.J. Schmitz, "Tridachiapyrones: Propionate-Derived Metabolites from the Sacoglossan Mollusc Tridachia Crispata, " J. Org.Chem., 1985,50,5637.
4. M. B. Ksebati and F. J. Schmitz, "Diterpenes from a Soft from Truk Lagoon, " Bull Soc. Chim. Belg., 1986,95, 835.
5. L. V. Manes, P. Crews, M. B. Ksebati and F. J. Schmitz, " The Use of Two Dimensional NMR and Relaxation Reagents to Determine Sterochemical Features in Acyclic Sesterpenes, " J. Nat. Prod., 1986, 49, 787.
6. M. B. Ksebati and F. J. Schmitz, "Nine New Spongiane Diterpenes from an Australian Nudibranch," J. Org. Chem.,1987, 52, 3766.
7. M. B. Ksebati, F. J. Schmitz, S. P. Gunasekera, and S. Agarwal, "Sarasinoside A1: A Saponin Containing Amino Sugars Isolated from a sponge," J. Org. Chem.,1988, 53, 5941.
8. M. B. Ksebati, F. J. Schmitz, and S. P. Gunasekera, "Pouosides A-E, Novel Triterpene Galactosides from a Marine Sponge, Asteropus sp." J. Org. Chem., 1988, 53, 3917.
9. M. B. Ksebati, and F. J. Schmitz, "Minabeolides, A Group of Withanolids from a soft Coral, Minabea Sp." J. Org. Chem., 1988, 53, 3926.
10. M. B. Ksebati, and F. J. Schmitz, "Sesquiterpene Furans and Thiosesqui-terpenes from the Nudibranch Ceratosoma brevicaudatum." J. Nat. Prod., 1988, 51, 857.
11. M. B. Ksebati, F. J. Schmitz, J. S. Chang, M. B. Hossain, D. van derHelm, M. H. Engel, and A. Serban. "Cyclic Peptides from the Ascidian Lissoclinum Patella; Conformational analysis of Patellamide D by X-ray analysis and Molecular Modeling." J. Org. Chem., 1989, 54, 3463.
12. M. B. Ksebati, F. J. Schmitz, G. K Liyanage, W. D. Ratnasooriya, and L. M V. Tillekeratne. "A New Spermatostatic Glycoside from the Soft Coral Sinularia Crispa." J. Nat. Prod., 1989, 52, 1143.
13. M. B. Ksebati, K. Stone, and L. J. Marnett, "Investigation of the Adducts Formed by Reaction of Malondialdehyde with adenosine." Chem. Res.Toxicol. 1990, 3, 33.
14. M. B. Ksebati, R. J. Hood, C. A. Schwartz, G. G. Konduri, and Y. W. Brans.," Deuterium Enrichment of plasma Determined by Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy: Dilution Clinical Chemistry, 1990 ,36, 1823.
15. M. B. Ksebati, Ana M. Q. Vande Linde, Kerri L. Juntunen, Ole .Mols, L. A. Ochrymoycz, And D. B. Rorabacher "Direct Determination of the Self-Exchange Electron-Transfer Rate Constant for a Copper(II/I) Macrocyclic Pentathiaether Complex". Inorganic Chemistry,1991, 30, 5037.
16. M. B. Ksebati, Ching Y. Wang, Hisamitsu Nagase, and Mei-sie Lee, " Arylamination and Arylation of 4,4,4-Trifluoro-1-phenyl-1,3-butanedione with N-Acetoxy Derivatives of 2- Aminofluorene," Chem . Res. Toxicol. 1992, 5, 183.
17. M. B. Ksebati, R. V. Joshi, Ze Qi Xu, D. Kessel, T. H. Corbertt, J. C. Drach, and J. Zemlicka, "Synthesis, Transformations and Biological Activity of Chloroenamines and Ynamines comprising Purine and Pyrimidine Ring Systems of Nucleic Acids . " J, Chem, Soc, Perkin; Trans.,1994 ; 1; 1089..
18. M B. Ksebati, Carl .R. Johnson ,Michael. M. Miller, Adam. Golebiowski, and Hari. Sundram. "Synthesis of Aza-C-disaccharides - a New Class of Sugar Mimics". Tetrahedron Lett. 1994, 35, 8991.
19. M. B. Ksebati, E. Palomino, M. B. Kempff, and C. Maldondo. " Caparratriene, An Active Sesquiterpene Hydrocarbon from Ocotea Caparrari (Nates) Dugand." J. Nat. Prod., 1996, 59, 77.
20. M. B. Ksebati, Y. Qiu, R. G. Ptak, B. Y. Fan, J. M. Breitenbach, J. Lin, Y. Cheng, E. R. Kern, J. C. Drach, and J. Zemlicka, "(Z)- and (E)-2- (Hydroxymethylcyclopropylidene)methyladenine and -guanine -New Nucleoside Analogues with a Broad-spectrum Antiviral Activity." J. Med. Chem.1998, 41,10-23.
21. M. B. Ksebati, T. J. Zahn, and R. A. Gibbs, " Sysnthesis and Conformational Analysis of DI-13C- labeled Farnesyl Diphosphate Analogs. " Tetrahedron Letters., 1998, 39, 3991.
22. M. B. Ksebati, J. Li, W. Zhang, Z. Guo, J. Wang ,L. Yu, J. Fang, and P. G. Wang, " Conformational Analysis of An a-Galactosyl Trisaccharide Epitope Involved in the Hyperacute Rejection Upon Xenotransplantation. " Carbohydrate Research ., 1999, 315, 76.
23. M. B. Ksebati, H. Guan, Y. Cheng, J. C. Drach, E. R. Kern, and J. Zemlicka, "Spiropentane Mimics of Nucleosides:Analogues of 2’-Deoxyadenosine and 2’- Deoxyguanosine. Synthesis of all Steroisomers, Isomeric Assignment, and Biological Activity." J. Org. Chem., 2000, 65, 11280-1290.
24. M. B. Ksebati, Y. L. Qiu, and J. Zemlicka, "Synthesis of (Z)- And (E)-9-[(2- Hydroxyethylidene)-cycopropyl]adenine] - New Methylenecyclopropane Analogues of Adenosine And Their Substrate Activity For Adenosine Deaminase." Nucleosides. & Nucleotides 2000, 19, 31-37.
25. B. Ksebati, Todd J. Zahn, Markus Eilers, Zhengmao Guo, Matthew Simon, Jeffrey D. Scholten, Steven O. Smith*, and Richard A. Gibbs* "Evaluation of Isoprenoid Conformation in Solution and in the Active Site of Protein Farnesyltransferase Using Carbon-13 Labeling in Conjunction with Solution and Solid State NMR." J. Am. Chem. Soc, 2000, 122, 7153-7164.
26. B. Ksebati, Wang R, Corbett TH, Kern ER, Drach JC, Zemlicka J. “Methylene-gem- difluorocyclopropane analogues of nucleosides: synthesis, cyclopropene-methylenecyclopropane rearrangement, and biological activity.” J. Med.Chem, 2001, 44, 23, 4019-4022.
27. B. Ksebati, Jia, Q.; Xie, W.-H.; Zhang, W.; Janczuk, A.; Luo, S.-Z.; Zhang, B.-L.; Cheng, J.-P.; Wang, P.G.; "Ytterbium(III) triflate-catalyzed electrophilic cyclization of glyoxalate-derived unsaturated imines" Tetrahedron Lett. 2002, 43, 2339-2342.
28. B. Ksebati, Chen, Y.-S.; Janczuk, A.; Chen, X.; Wang, J.-Q.; Wang, P. G. “Expeditious syntheses of two carbohydrate-linked cisplatin analogs” Carb. Res. 2002, 337, 1043-1046.
29. B. Ksebati, Y. Ni, K.K.D. Amarasinghe, and J. Montgomery, "First Total Synthesis and Stereochemical Definition of Isodomoic Acid G." Org. Lett, 2003 , 5, 20, 3771-3773.
30. B. Ksebati, JP. Desau;niers, and CS. Chow, " Synthesis of 15n-enriched pseudouridine derivatives.” Org Lett. 2003 , 5(22, 4093-6.
31. B. Ksebati, Santosh B. Mhaske, Mark N. Prichard, John C.
Drach, Jiri Zemlicka.” Phosphonate Analogues of Cyclopropavir Phosphates and Their
E-isomers. Synthesis and Antiviral Activity.” Bioorg Med Chem. 2009 , 17(11), 3892–3899.
32. B. Ksebati, Dajena Tomco, Sara Schmitt, Mary Jane Heeg, Q. Ping Dou, Cláudio N. Verani.” Effects of tethered ligands and of metal oxidation state on the interactions of cobalt complexes with the 26S proteasome.” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry ,105 (2011) 1759–1766.
33. Appi Reddy Mandhapati †, Takayuki Kato †, Takahiko Matsushita †, Bashar Ksebati †, Andrea Vasella ‡, Erik C. Böttger §, and David Crich *† Fluorine-Decoupled Carbon Spectroscopy for the Determination of Configuration at Fully Substituted, Trifluoromethyl- and Perfluoroalkyl-Bearing Carbons: Comparison with 19F–1H Heteronuclear Overhauser Effect Spectroscopy. J. Org. Chem., 2015, 80 (3), pp 1754–1763.