Research interest(s)/area of expertise
Andean archaeology; complex societies; Inca Empire; Ecuadorian archaeology; early imperialism and statecraft; food & feasting; art & iconography; materiality-sociality; museum studies
- Ph.D., Anthropology, SUNY-Binghamton, 1991
Awards and grants
2018 Gershenson Distinguished Faculty Fellow Award, Board of Governors, Wayne State University.
2018 Elected to Academy of Scholars, Wayne State University.
2016 Wenner-Gren Grant for Archaeological Research on sacred landscapes of the Inca at Copacabana, Bolivia.
2016 Marilyn Williamson Distinguished Faculty Fellowship Award, Humanities Center, Wayne State University.
2013 Named Michigan Distinguished Professor of the Year by the Presidents' Council of State Universities of Michigan.
2012-2009 National Endowment for the Humanities Collaborative Research Award for archaeological investigations at the site of Inca-Caranqui, northern Ecuador.
- 2019 "Recientes excavaciones en Intinqala: un sitio de ocupacion incaica en Copacabana, Bolivia. Boletin de la Sociedad de Investigacion de Arte Rupestre de Bolivia 33:43-71.
- 2019 "Temporal plurality and temporal transgressions: Time and things in an early colonial mortuary assemblage from northern highland Ecuador." International Journal of Historical Archaeology 22.
- 2018 "Partnering with pots: The work of materials in the imperial Inca project." Cambridge Archaeological Journal 28(2): 243-257.
- 2018 "The Inca centers of Caranqui and Tomebamba in northern Chinchaysuyu," in Oxford Handbook of the Inca, S. Alconini and A. Covey (eds.), pp. 159-178. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2015 "At the end of Empire: Imperial advances on the northern frontier." In The Inca Empire: A Multidisciplinary Approach, I. Shimada (ed.), pp. 325-344. University of Texas Press, Austin.
- 2015 The Archaeology of Wak’as: Explorations of the Sacred in the Pre-Columbian Andes. University Press of Colorado, Boulder.
- 2014 "Analytical applications of fine-scale terrestrial lidar at the imperial Inca site of Caranqui, northern highland Ecuador." World Archaeology 46(1):1-18. (co-authored with Boleslo E. Romero).
- 2013 "Water, ritual and power in the Inca Empire." Latin American Antiquity 24(2):164-190.
- 2012 "Ritual commensality between human and non-human persons: Investigating native ontologies in the late pre-Columbian Andean world. eTopoi." Journal for Ancient Studies (Berlin), on-line journal
- 2009 "An archaeological perspective on the Andean concept of camaquen: Thinking through the objects of late pre-Columbian ofrendas and huacas. Cambridge Archaeological Journal 19(3):359-368.
- 2005 Archaeological investigations in northern highland Ecuador: The Pimampiro district as a multi-ethnic locale." Journal of Field Archaeology 30(2):119-141.
- 2003 "Inca pottery as culinary equipment: Food, feasting and gender in imperial state design." Latin American Antiquity 17(1):1-22.
- ANT 3200 Lost Cities and Ancient Civilizations (F2019) 3 cr hrs
- ANT 7625 Material Culture Studies Seminar (F2019) 3 cr hrs
- ANT 2500 Great Lakes Archaeology
- ANT 3200 Lost Cities and Ancient Civilizations
- ANT 3220 Inca and Their Ancestors
- ANT 5270 Concepts and Techniques in Archaeology
- ANT 5600 Museum Studies
- ANT 6510 Inca and Their Ancestors
- ANT 6555 Cultural Resource Management and Public Archaeology
- ANT 6999 Grant writing for the Social Sciences
- ANT 7620 Seminar: Archaeology of Religion
- ANT 7625 Material Culture and the Meaning of Things