Research interest(s)/area of expertise
Current Research Interests
As a social psychologist, I am broadly interested in person-environment interactions. I have a longstanding interest in women's health and preventing violence against women. Most of my recent research focuses on understanding the etiology of men’s sexual aggression, alcohol’s role in sexual assault, and sexual assault measurement using experimental and survey research methods.
I integrate theoretical models from social psychology, alcohol studies, developmental psychology, stress and coping research, and criminal justice to address the following issues:
- What psychosocial factors increase men's likelihood of being sexually aggressive? What is alcohol's role in sexual aggression? How does how alcohol interact with personality, attitudes, and past experience to increase some men’s likelihood of being sexually aggressive toward women?
- What psychosocial factors enhance and hinder women's recovery from sexual assault victimization? What is alcohol's role?
- How does intoxication influence adolescents' and young adults' sexual risk taking?
- How do people decide if someone else is sexually attracted to them? What factors affect the accuracy of these judgments?
- Women's health and health-related behavior.
- Substance abuse prevention for adolescents and young adults.
- Undergraduate: Health Psychology (PSY 2410), Psychology of Gender (PSY 3250)
- Graduate: Health Psychology I (PSY 8300), Interdisciplinary Research Methods (PSY 7470), Social Psychological Theory and Research on Close Relationships (PSY 7645), Psychology of Women and Gender (PSY 8600)
- Ph.D., August 1982, Social Psychology, Northwestern University
- M.A., June 1980, Social Psychology, Northwestern University
- B.A., December 1975, Psychology, University of Michigan
Awards and grants
Awards, Editorial Positions, and Recent Scientific Panels
- Editor, Psychology of Violence, 2018 - 2024.
- The Bonnie R. Strickland and Jessica Henderson Daniel Distinguished Mentoring Award from the Society for the Psychology of Women Division 35 of the American Psychological Association, 2016.
- Board of Governors Distinguished Faculty Fellow, Wayne State University, 2015.
- Outstanding Graduate Mentor Award; Social Sciences, Education, and Business; Wayne State University, 2014.
- Ad Hoc Member of National Institutes of Health Risk Prevention and Intervention for AddictionStudy Section, October 2014.
- External Consultant to the Department of Defense in the development of the 2014-2016 Sexual Assault Prevention Strategy, released May, 2014.
- Invited Participant, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism’s Workshop “Toward Effective Interventions for Alcohol-Related Sexual, Physical, and Intimate Partner Violence: Where We Are, What is Needed, How to Get There,” September 2012.
- Consulting Editor of the Year, Psychology of Violence, 2010-2011.
- External Member of the Sexual Violence Prevention Portfolio Review, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, sponsored by the Office of the Associate Director for Science, September, 2011.
Recent Grant Funding
- Alcohol's Role in Sexual Assault: Development of Virtual Reality Simulation Proxy. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), July 10, 2012 - June 30, 2015.
- Alcohol's Role in Etiology of Sexual Assault Perpetration in a Community Sample. NIAAA, May 20, 2007 - July 31, 2011.
- Alcohol's Role in AIDS Risk Reduction for Young Adults. NIAAA, September 26, 2000 - August 31, 2005.
- Prospective Analyses of Alcohol's Role in Sexual Assault. NIAAA, September 1, 1998 - August 31, 2002.
Abbey, A., Pegram, S.E., Woerner, J., & Wegner, R. (2018). Men’s responses to women’s sexual refusals: Development and construct validity of a virtual dating simulation of sexual aggression. Psychology of Violence, 8, 87-99. doi:10.1037/vio000078
Woerner, J., & Abbey, A., Helmers, B.R., Pegram, S.E., & Jilani, Z. (2018). Predicting men's immediate reactions to a simulated date's sexual rejection: The effects of hostile masculinity, impersonal sex, and hostile perceptions of the woman. Psychology of Violence, 8, 349-357. doi:10.1037/vio0000172
Woerner, J., Abbey, A., Pegram, S.E., & Helmers, B.R. (2018). The effects of alcohol intoxication and sexual interest on men's sexual persistence and hostility in a dating simulation. Aggressive Behavior, 44, 537-547. doi:10.1002/ab.21773
Pegram, S.E., & Abbey, A., Helmers, B.R., Benbouriche, M., Woerner, J., & Jilani, Z. (2018). Men who sexually assault drinking women: Similarities and differences with men who sexually assault sober women and nonperpetrators. Violence Against Women, 24, 1327-1348. doi:10.1177/1077801218787927
Pierce, J., Abbey, A., & Wegner, R. (2018). Mediators of the association between childhood emotional maltreatment and young adult men’s life satisfaction. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 33, 595-616. doi:10.1177/0886260515609584
Graham, K., Bernards, S., Abbey, A., Dumas, T.M., & Wells, S. (2017). When women do not want it: Young female bargoers’ experiences with and responses to sexual harassment in social drinking contexts. Violence Against Women, 23, 1419-1441. doi:10.1177/1077801216661037
Woerner, J., & Abbey, A. (2017). Positive feelings after casual sex: The role of gender and traditional gender role beliefs. Journal of Sex Research, 54, 717-727. doi:10.1080/00224499.2016.1208801
Wegner, R., & Abbey, A. (2016). Individual differences in men's misperception of women's sexual intent: Application and extension of the confluence model. Personality and Individual Differences, 94, 16-20. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2015.12.027 (PMC4730390)
Jacques-Tiura, A.J., Abbey, A., Wegner, R., Pierce, J., Pegram, S.E., & Woerner, J. (2015). Friends matter: Protective and harmful aspects of male friendships associated with past year sexual aggression in a community sample of young men. American Journal of Public Health, 105, 1001-1007. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2014.302472 (PMC4386539)
Wegner, R., Abbey, A., Pierce, J., Pegram, S.E., & Woerner, J. (2015). Sexual assault perpetrators’ justifications for the actions: Relationships to rape supportive attitudes, incident characteristics, and future perpetration, Violence Against Women, 21, 1018-1037. doi:10.1177/1077801215589380 (PMC4491036)
Abbey, A., & Wegner, R. (2015). Using experimental paradigms to examine alcohol’s role in man’s sexual aggression: Opportunities and challenges in the selection of proxies. Violence Against Women, 21, 975-996. doi:10.1177/1077801215589378 (PMC4490968)
Swartout, K.M., Koss, M.P., White, J.W., Thompson, M.P., Abbey, A., Bellis, A.L. (2015). Trajectory analysis of the campus serial rapist assumption. Journal of the American Medical Association Pediatrics, 169, 1148-1154. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2015.0707.
Hayman, L.W., McIntyre, R., & Abbey, A. (2015). The bad taste of social ostracism: The effects of exclusion on the eating behaviors of African American women. Psychology and Health, 30, 518-533. doi: 10.1080/08870446.2014.983923
Abbey, A., Wegner, R., Woerner, J., Pegram, S.E., & Pierce, J. (2014). Review of survey and experimental research that examine the relationship between alcohol consumption and men’s sexual aggression perpetration. Trauma, Violence, & Abuse, 15, 265-282. doi:10.1177/1524838014521031 (PMID24776459; PMC4477196)
Wegner, R., Pierce, J., & Abbey, A. (2014). Relationship type and sexual precedence: Their associations with perpetrators and sexual assault characteristics. Violence Against Women, 20, 1360-1382. doi:10.1177/1077801214552856 (PMID25288595; PMC4467962)
Graham, K., Bernards, S., Osgood, D.W., Parks, M., Abbey, A., Felson, R.B., Saltz, R.F., & Wells, S. (2013). Apparent motives for aggression in the social context of the bar. Psychology of Violence, 3, 218-232. doi: 10.1037/a0029677
White, J.W., Yuan, N.P., Cook, S.L., & Abbey, A. (2013). Ethnic minority women’s experiences with intimate partner violence: Using community-based participatory research methods to ask the right questions. Sex Roles, 69, 226-236. doi:10.1007/s11199-012-0237-0
Abbey, A., Wegner, R., Pierce, J., & Jacques-Tiura, A.J. (2012). Patterns of sexual aggression in a community sample of young men: Risk factors associated with persistence, desistance, and initiation over a one year interval. Psychology of Violence, 2, 1-15. doi:10.1037/a0026346
Abbey, A., Jacques-Tiura, A.J., & LeBreton, J. (2011). Risk factors for sexual aggression in young men: An expansion of the confluence model. Aggressive Behavior, 37, 1-15. doi:10.1002/ab.20399
Abbey, A. (2011). Alcohol and dating risk factors for sexual assault: Double standards are still alive and well entrenched. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 35, 362-368. doi:10.1177/0361684311404150
Ceballo, R., Abbey, A., & Schooler, D. (2010). Perceptions of women's infertility: What do physicians see? Fertility and Sterility 93, 1066-1073. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2008.11.019
Abbey, A., Jacques-Tiura, A., & Parkhill, M.R. (2010). Sexual assault among diverse populations of women: Common ground, distinctive features, and unanswered questions. H. Landrine & N. Russo (Eds.) Handbook of diversity in feminist psychology (pp. 391-425). NY: Springer Publishing Co.
Jacques-Tiura, A.J., Tkatch, R., Abbey, A., & Wegner, R. (2010). Disclosure of sexual assault: Characteristics and implications for posttraumatic stress symptoms among African American and Caucasian survivors. Journal of Trauma and Dissociation, 11, 174-192. doi:10.1080/15299730903502938
Purdie, M.P., Abbey, A., & Jacques-Tiura, A.J. (2010). Perpetrators of intimate partner sexual violence: Are there unique characteristics associated with making partners have sex without a condom? Violence Against Women, 16, 1086-1097. doi:10.1177/1077801210382859
PSY 3250 Psychology of Gender
- Fall 2018: PSY 8300 Health Psychology
- Winter 2018: PSY 7470 Interdisciplinary Research Methods
- Fall 2017: PSY 2410 Health Psychology