AAUP-AFT Local 6075: Faculty Grievance Coordinator
Science Hall, Room 3002
DepartmentNutrition and Food Science
Dr. Khosla has been working on diet and lipoprotein metabolism for almost thirty years. After obtaining his BSc and MSc from Newcastle University in the U.K. and Ph.D. from the University of Western Ontario in Canada, he did post-doctoral research at Brandeis University in the USA. Dr Khosla is the author of some 100 plus articles including original research, book chapters, reviews and commentaries. He has been involved in dietary-fat related research/education for several years and given over a hundred invited guest lectures and seminars in over 30 countries.
He has supervised 36 graduate students (Ph.D., M.S. and M.A.) and taught over eighty classes (11 different courses). Over the last few years, Dr. Khosla’s laboratory has carried out studies in dialysis patients to look at the effects of various supplements (omega 3 fatty acids, tocotrienols) on markers of inflammation, oxidative stress and blood lipids. He was the lead investigator on a multi-centered clinical trial involving various dialysis units in Michigan (Henry Ford, Great Lakes Dialysis, Davita) as well as Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) and Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), evaluating the effects of tocotrienol supplementation on lipid, inflammatory and oxidative stress markers. He is also involved in various collaborative studies looking at various aspects of diet on protein energy wasting (PEW) as well as renal nutrition education in dialysis patients. This work, in addition to UKM and UPM, involves collaborative centers in the Bangladesh and Saudi Arabia.
Research interest(s)/area of expertise
Current research interests relate to the role of diet on a) lipoprotein metabolism ( in general) and b) specifically in chronic kidney disease (CKD) patients including those with end stage renal disease (ESRD) on maintenabce hemodialysis. Also interested on the effects of PEW in CKD.
EducationBSc (Hons) Physiology, MSc and PhD Biochemistry
- Karupaiah, T., Daud, Z. A..M., Khosla, P., Khor, B-H., Sahathevan, S., Kaur., D., Tallman, D.A., Rashid, H-Ur, Rahman, T., Saxena, A., Gulati, S., Sengupta, S. and Susetyowati, S. (2023) Identifying challenges and potential solutions for sustainable kidney care delivery in selected Asian countries. J Ren Nutr. S1051-2276(23)00124-3. doi: 10.1053/j.jrn.2023.08.003.
- Alvarenga, L., Cardoza, L., Ribalves, M., Agila, N., Berretta, A., Lima, J., Khosla, P., Fouque, D., Mafra, D. (2023) Effects of turmeric extract supplementation on the lipid and lipoprotein subfractions profile in hemodialysis patients: a randomized, double-blind, crossover and controlled trial. Phytotherapy Res. 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.7814
- Tallman, D.A., Khor, B.H., Karupaiah, T., Khosla, P., Chan, M. and Kopple, J.D. (2023) Nutritional adequacy of assential nutrients in low protein animal-based and plant-based diets in the United States for Chronic Kidney disease patients. J Ren Nutr. 33 249-260. Nov 29:S1051-2276(22)00203-5. doi: 10.1053/j.jrn.2022.10.007. Online ahead of print. PMID: 36460269
- Rahman, T., Khor, B.H., Sahathevan, S., Kaur, D., Latifi, E., Afroz, M., Mitali, E. J., Tashkandi, N., Begum, N. A. S., Kashem, T. S., Arefin, S. Ur Z., Daud, Z. A. M., Karupaiah, T., Rashid, H. Ur and Khosla, P. (2022) Protein Energy Wasting in a cohort of Maintenance hemodialysis patients in Dhaka, Bangladesh, Nutrients, 14, 1469
- Rahman, T., Ahmed, S., Kabir, Md., R., Akhtaruzzaman, M., Mitali, E. J., Rashid, H.-Ur Rashid, Daud, Z. A. M., Khor, B.H., Kaur, D., and Khosla, P. (2022) Provision of renal-specific nutrition knowledge for changing dietary practice in Bangladeshi hemodialysis patients. PEC Innovation, 1
- Teong, L. F., Khor, B. H., Kristo, R. P., Gafor, A. H. A., Leong, G. B., Bee, B. C., Yahya, R., Bavanandam, S., Ng, H. M., Sahathevan, S., Narayanan, S. S., Daud, Z. A. M., Khosla, P. and Karupaiah, T. (2022) A mobile app for triangulating strategies in phosphate education targeting patients with chronic kidney disease: Development, validation and patient acceptance. Healthcare 10, 535-553
- Sulaheen, A., Khor, B-H., Balasubramaniam, G. V., Sahathevan, S., Chinna, K., Daud, Z. A. M., Khosla, P., Gafor, A.H.A. and Karupaiah, T. (2022) Benchmarking Diet Quality to Assess Nutritional Risk in Hemodialysis Patients: Applying Adequacy and Moderation Metrics of the hemodialysis-Healthy Eating Index. J Renal Nutr. 32, 726-732
- Ahmed, S., Rahman, T., Ripon Md. S. H., Rashid, H.-Ur, Kashem, T., Ali, Md., S. M., Khor, B-H, Khosla, P., Karupaiah, T. and Daud, Z. M. A. (2021) A Food Frequency Questionnaire for Hemodialysis Patients in Bangladesh (BDHD-FFQ): Development and Validation. Nutrients 13,4521
- Ng, H-M., Khor, B-H, Sahathevan, S., Sulaheen, A., Chinna, K., Gafor, A.H.A., Goh, B-l, Ahmad, G., Morad, Z., Daud, Z. A. M., Khosla, P. and Karupaiah, T. (2021) Is malnutrition a determining factor of health-related quality of life in hemodialysis patients? A cross-sectional design examining relationships with a comprehensive assessment of nutritional status. Q of Life Res., 31, 1441-1459
- Khor, B-H, Tallman, D. A., Karupaiah, T., Khosla, P., Chan, M. and Kopple, J. D. (2021) Nutritional Adequacy of Animal-based and Plant-Based Asian Diets for Chronic Kidney Disease Patients: A Modelling Study. Nutrients 13, 3341-3360
- Adanan, N. I. H., Adnan Md., W. A. H., Khosla, P., Karupaiah, T. and Daud, Z. M. A. (2021) Exploring the experiences and perceptions of hemodialysis patients observing Ramadan fasting: A Qualitative Study. BMC Nephrol. 22, 48-59
- Khor, B-H., Sahathevan, S., Sulaheen, A., Ali, M.S.M., Narayanan, S. S., Chinna, K., Gafor, A.H.A, Goh, B-L., Ghazali, A., Morad, Z., Daud, Z.A.M., Khosla, P., Sundram, K. and Karupaiah, T.(2021) Circulating fatty acid profile are associated with protein energy wasting in maintenance hemodialysis patients: A cross sectional study. Sci. Rep. Int.11, 1416-1427
- Md., Ali. M.S., Yeak, Z-W., Khor, B.-H., Sahathevan, S., Sulaheen, A., Lim, J.-H., Adanan, N.I.H., Gafor, A.H., Zakaria, N. F., Khosla, P., Karupaiah, T., Daud, Z. A. M. (2020) HD-FFQ to detect nutrient deficiencies and toxicities for a multiethnic Asian dialysis population. Nutrients, 12, 1585-1601
- Sahathevan, S., Khor, B.H., Singh, B.K.S., Sabatino, A., Fiaccadori, E., Daud, Z.A.M., Ali, M.S., Narayanan, S. S., Tallman, D., Chinna, K., Goh, B.L., Gafor, A. H. A., Ghazali, A., Morad, Z., Khosla, P., Karupaiah T. (2020) Association of ultrasound-derived metrics of the quadriceps muscle with protein energy wasting in hemodialysis patients: A multicenter cross-sectional study. Nutrients, 12, 3597-3613
- Lim, J.H., Chinna, K., Khosla, P., Karupaiah, T. and Daud, Z. A. M. (2020) Understanding how nutrition literacy links to dietary adherence in hemodialysis patients: A theoretical exploration using partial least squares structural adherence modeling population. Int. J. Env. Res. Health Prom. 17, 7479-7499
- Khor, B.H., Sulaheen, A., Sahathevan, S., Chinna, K., Gafor, A. H. Bavanandan, S., Goh, B.L., Morad, Z., Daud, Z.A.M., Khosla, P., Yee-Moon, A.. W. and Karupaiah, T. (2020) Association of dietary patterns with serum phosphorus in maintenance hemodialysis patients, Sci. Rep. Int., 10, 12278
- Tallman, D.A., Latifi, E., Kaur, D., Sulaheen, A., Ikizler, T.A., Chinna, K., Daud, Z.A.M., Karupaiah, T. and Khosla, P. (2020) Dietary Patterns and Heath Outcomes Among African-American Maintenance Hemodialysis Patients. Nutrients, 12, 797-808
- Farhana, L., Sarkar, S., Nangia-Makker, P., Yu, Y., Khosla, P., Levi, E., Azmi, A. and Majumdar, A. P. N. (2020) Natural agents inhibit cancer cell proliferation and alter microbial diversity in mice, PLoSOne, 15 (3), e0229823
- Kaur, D., Tallman, D. A., and Khosla, P. (2020) The Health Effects of Saturated Fats – The Role of Whole foods and Dietary Patterns. Diabetes Metab. Syndr. 14: 151-153