Research interest(s)/area of expertise
- My research examines how to promote healthy social, emotional, and scholastic adjustment when children are at risk due to stressors such as poverty, child maltreatment, or developmental disorders. I am especially interested in how parents foster resilient outcomes, and how interventions can contribute to healthy development among at risk children and their parents. Attachment and other motivational theories are important guiding influences on the research and interventions I conduct.
- Barnett, D., Heinze, H. J., & Arble, E. (2013). Risk, resilience, and the Rorschach: A longitudinal study of children who experienced sexual abuse. Journal of Personality Assessment, 95, 600-609.
- Barnett, D., Kaplan-Estrin, M., Braciszewski, J., Hetterscheidt, L. Issner, J., & Butler, C. M. (2011). Maternal solicitousness and attachment disorganization among toddlers with a congenital anomaly. In J. Solomon & C. George (Eds.)., Disorganized attachment and caregiving, (pp. 245-266). New York: Guilford.
- Li, X., Barnett, D., Fang, X., Lin, X., Zhao, G., Zhao, J., Zhang, L., Hong, Y., Naar-King, S., Stanton, B. (2009). Lifetime incidences of traumatic events and mental health among children affected by HIV/AIDS in rural China. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology, 38, 731-744.
- Kidwell, S.L., & Barnett, D. (2007). Adaptive emotion and behavior regulation among low-income, African American Children. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 53, 155-183.
- Barnett. D. Clements, M., Kaplan-Estrin, M., McCaskill, J.W., Hill Hunt, K., Butler , C., & Janisse, H. (2006). Maternal resolution of child diagnosis: Stability and relations with child attachment across the toddler to preschooler transition. Journal of Family Psychology, 20, 100-107.
- Barnett, D., Clements, M., Kaplan-Estrin, M., & Fialka, J. (2003). Building new dreams: Supporting parents’ adaptation to their special needs child. Infants & Young Children, 16, 184-200.
- Barnett, D., Kidwell, S.L., & Leung, K.H. (1998). Parenting and preschooler attachment among low-income urban African American families. Child Development, 69, 1657-1671.
PSY 2400 Lifespan Developmental Psychology
PSY 7210 Psychological Assessment
PSY 7300 Psychopathology